Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

12 month baby - formula or cow's milk

southside852 is offline Registered User
    we've actually traveled a great deal throughout Asia using the small UHT Pura cartons like a mom mentioned above. It's been soo easy and when have trips longer than 3 nights, we bring a couple of large UHTs in our suitcases. I personally think it's easier than formula. I hated mixing it with water, carrying all those bottles on flights etc...Our sons only drank bottled water when we used formula and it was just a pain. Now, we just bring on 2-3 small cartons of milk on flights and fill as needed.

I think you'll find more locals, keep their children on formula much longer. My local Singaporean friend had her child on formula until 2.5 years old.

I guess in the end, like most choices, you have to do what feels right for you and your family.

bonita is offline Registered User
    I know local parents who keep their kids on formula till 4 or 5 years old, twice a day!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    South District
    yes bonita- -that is correct, it's mind boggling to me. but i guess there are its pros, especially if your baby is poor eater. i switched to cows milk at 12mths for both my first two and plan to do the same with #3. it's just more convenient for me...didn't realize that formula was made from cows milk (at least some of them) cause one of the worries my sis has is that cows milk is filled with too many hormones and that kids in general should have less of it...what do people think of that? is that a valid concern?

Ccsimms is offline Registered User
    Growing up milks aren't a marketing ploy...they can definitely bring more nutrients and benefits to my daughters diet... Yes, a varied diet can provide all of this...but my child is quite a small eater, and so at least by boosting this with a growing up milk, she's getting the best of both worlds. Another benefit of growing up milk, is great for when out and about, as you can just add water to the formula, without the need to keep refrigerated, as you would with cows milk. Works for us, and our daughter.

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    The Peak
    It's a marketing ploy in that it enables formula companies to advertise formula. In most western countries, advertising formula for babies under 6 months is banned as it undermines breastfeeding. However, they are allowed to advertise growing up/follow on milks. Paediatricians agree that they are nutritionally unnecessary.

Also, has anyone tried those follow on (1 year plus) formulas? Talk about sweet. No wonder the kids like them. Better to use cows milk and give a vitamin tonic if you're worried.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123