Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are vaccinations mandatory in HK?

genkimom is offline Registered User

Are vaccinations mandatory in HK?

Does anyone know which vaccinations are mandatory in HK, or know where I can go to find out (in English)?

I have an appointment next week and I don't want to immunize; at least, not yet. I'm thinking of waiting until 6 months to start; since she is BF,she is getting immunized anyway, and I don't want to start until her immune system is stronger and more developed.

In the US, parents have the right to decline any shots, or postpone. In HK, do parents have this same right? Does it specifically say so somewhere that I can print and bring along to explain to the nurses it's not something they HAVE to do?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Although recommended, I dont believe immunization are mandatory in Hong Kong :

http://www.chp.gov.hk/en/faq_dtl/9/117/16150.html

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/health...zation_i9.html

You can check out this website.

http://www.fhs.gov.hk/english/health...zation_i9.html

This gives the recommendations.don't think anything is required presay...you can postpone decide not to get the vaccination.etc witho any problem at all...very democratic in that sense. The nurses will have the list for sure and can only give the vaccination with your permission.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    With the bCG they did it fir my daughter without consulting me though at the hospital (private) since they assumed it had to done anyways! Kind of pissed me off as I wanted it done on her thigh instead of arm...

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by genkimom View Post
    since she is BF,she is getting immunized anyway, .
    Not commenting at all on your choice to postpone immunizations, but you should be clear on the immunity building benefits of breast feeding, and that it is not a substitute for immunizations children receive at the doctor's office.

Breast feeding generally strengthens the immune system through provision of immunoglobulin A (IgA), which, basically, helps protect the baby against germs by forming a protective layer on the mucous membranes in the baby's intestines, nose, and throat. Vaccinations protect against serious, typically communicable, diseases. The former provides minimal protection against the latter. Your doctor should be able to point you to a better medical discussion of the differences.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by elle View Post
    Not commenting at all on your choice to postpone immunizations, but you should be clear on the immunity building benefits of breast feeding, and that it is not a substitute for immunizations children receive at the doctor's office.

Breast feeding generally strengthens the immune system through provision of immunoglobulin A (IgA), which, basically, helps protect the baby against germs by forming a protective layer on the mucous membranes in the baby's intestines, nose, and throat. Vaccinations protect against serious, typically communicable, diseases. The former provides minimal protection against the latter. Your doctor should be able to point you to a better medical discussion of the differences.
    You are quite right. The other part f the story, which I didn't feel the need to elaborate on earlier, is that my family has a history of getting the very diseases we are inoculated against, especially if its before the first year. Even when they claim the virus is completely dead, we seem to come down with whatever it is. Which is why I never got a polio shot, and many of my shots were delayed until primary school.

IN reality, and you can call a doctor to confirm this, most of the shots they give babies are not necessary until primary school (or kindy these days); the only reason the schedule calls for them so early is that parents tend to get negligent/sloppy/less vigilant (whatever you want to call it) after the first year and end up not being good about going to the clinic to get shots after that. There is no reason why babies that are not in daycare need to be vaccinated before they start school if parents eventually get them vaccinated, and don't forget later on. My son didn't start his shots until 6 months old and seemed to handle them OK, so I'm going to do the same for #2. Thanks all for the links!

carang is offline Registered User
    genkimom.... i would say you are possibly correct in places like north america or canada... the population density is so small (something like 4 people/sq km in canada) that it might not be so necessary so early in life, however, we do not live there. instead we live in one of the most densely populated areas of the world. people are crammed one on top of the other and just going to the supermarket, for most people here, involves contact with hundreds, if not thousands, of people. not only that, but diseases such as TB are not unheard of here, and are in fact quite common, whereas in most western countries the cases of TB are few and far between, if indeed there are any at all.

while it is your choice whether or not to vaccinate, or delay, for me, it wasn't a chance i was willing to take.

good luck! i hope you find the answers for which you are looking! it would be a good idea to post the dr.'s name in case other parents want to delay for their children, too.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    Vaccinations are not mandatory in HK. I have delayed a number of vaccines for my children and chosen not to have some at all.
    When I declined Bcg for my babies at birth I did receive a follow up phone call from a govt department asking me why I declined and explaining why they thought it was important to have it done. But our doctors have always been supportive of my decisions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast