Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Husband accompany wife during C-section in public hospital?

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    Appleseed,
    I am pleased that Carang has reported her positive experience with the general anaesthetic that she had, when she delivered her baby.

This evening I spoke to a consultant obstetrician at a public hospital about your question. She was very clear that in all public hospitals in Hong Kong, a mother with a placenta praevia would always have a general anaesthetic for delivery by caesarian section. I do not believe that there would be exceptions to this.

Placenta praevia is a serious situation and the caesarian section will be performed by the most senior obstetrician on duty, in the unit. Your wife will be cared for especially carefully and with significant skill and expertise.

It is a significant event in both of your lives and I know that you don't take this prospect easily, but you need to be very supportive and strong towards your wife. You are her 'brick' and she will listen and look to you for stability. You need to explain to your wife that she will be looked after carefully, with you in the nearby vicinity, and that you will care for the baby as soon after the birth as possible.

This time before her delivery, she should rest as much as possible, and be in as low stress state as possible. Her work caring for her baby will begin very soon and if it is after a C/S, then she needs to be as rested and relaxed as possible, now. Try to reassure her to not be anxious.

I personally consented to a general anaesthetic had I needed a C/S during the VBAC birth of my twins. I gave the method of anaesthesia great consideration, and this is what I considered most beneficial, if the situation had required this.
    I have had a previous C/S.

Please keep us updated, I will be waiting to hear your progress.
    Best wishes!
    Last edited by MommieMid; 01-10-2012 at 11:16 PM.

carang is offline Registered User
    i didn't mention that i would take the GA over the epidural because the epidural i had in my first delivery didn't work and I could feel what was happening, every single thing. it was the most excruciating thing i have ever endured.....;)

appleseed is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MommieMid View Post
    Appleseed,
    This evening I spoke to a consultant obstetrician at a public hospital about your question. She was very clear that in all public hospitals in Hong Kong, a mother with a placenta praevia would always have a general anaesthetic for delivery by caesarian section. I do not believe that there would be exceptions to this.

Placenta praevia is a serious situation and the caesarian section will be performed by the most senior obstetrician on duty, in the unit. Your wife will be cared for especially carefully and with significant skill and expertise.

It is a significant event in both of your lives and I know that you don't take this prospect easily, but you need to be very supportive and strong towards your wife. You are her 'brick' and she will listen and look to you for stability. You need to explain to your wife that she will be looked after carefully, with you in the nearby vicinity, and that you will care for the baby as soon after the birth as possible.

This time before her delivery, she should rest as much as possible, and be in as low stress state as possible. Her work caring for her baby will begin very soon and if it is after a C/S, then she needs to be as rested and relaxed as possible, now. Try to reassure her to not be anxious.

I personally consented to a general anaesthetic had I needed a C/S during the VBAC birth of my twins. I gave the method of anaesthesia great consideration, and this is what I considered most beneficial, if the situation had required this.
    I have had a previous C/S.

Please keep us updated, I will be waiting to hear your progress.
    Best wishes!
    Firstly, thanks for all the wishes and taking the trouble to finding out the info for me, MommieMid and Carang.

We just visited the clinic today and we are told there is still a small chance the womb moves up and there is no need for c-section, but the doctor advised that we should be mentally prepared for it. I believe my wife has gradually accepted that, and that I may not be allowed inside the operation room with her during operation.

Thanks and appreciate all the sharings and advice. You all here are really helpful and kind. thanks.

Paulette is offline Banned
    Hello,

I am French, I had an elective c-section last November at Princess Margaret. Husbands are not allowed inside the operation room. We even had to deal with them so that my husband could spend a few minutes with our baby after the delivery which was not that easy, we had to insist. I had my c-section at noon and we had to wait until 5:30 (vivisting hour) to be together. There is absolutely no flexibility there. Nurses do not allow fathers to carry their babies during visiting hours (for hygiene reasons I guess) which is unbelievable but we did it, we simply pulled the curtains not to be disturbed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12