Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Husband accompany wife during C-section in public hospital?

appleseed is offline Registered User

Husband accompany wife during C-section in public hospital?

Hi,

my wife is due soon and we are registered under Princess Margaret Hospital.

Due to her condition (placenta previa) she is informed that she will likely need to go through an elective C-section instead of natural birth.

My wife is very anxious as we suspect husband is not allowed inside the operation room during the operation, and she wants me to be with her during this period.

Question: are husbands allowed inside the operation room during C-section in PMH? Any exceptions?

thanks

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    It is usual to exclude partners in the operating room if general anaesthesia is used. No exceptions. If spinal anesthesia is administered, then I presume that the policies vary between hospitals.
    In Europe and the US, the partner can be at the C/S birth as long as the mother is conscious.
    Has your wife discussed whether she will be able to choose spinal anaesthesia or general anesthesia?
    I will try to find out the answer to your specific question and write back.

appleseed is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by MommieMid View Post
    It is usual to exclude partners in the operating room if general anaesthesia is used. No exceptions. If spinal anesthesia is administered, then I presume that the policies vary between hospitals.
    In Europe and the US, the partner can be at the C/S birth as long as the mother is conscious.
    Has your wife discussed whether she will be able to choose spinal anaesthesia or general anesthesia?
    I will try to find out the answer to your specific question and write back.
    Thanks MommieMid. We have no idea if it will be spinal anaesthesia or general anesthesia. We are scheduled for a visit later this week and hopefully will have a better idea by then.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    My husband was present in the room when I had my c-section at the Prince of Wales.

As I understand it, from the anaesthetist that I had, administering a general anaesthetic is not common and is usually done for emergencies rather than planned c-sections, in cases where there is not enough time for a spinal block or epidural to take effect. So, with a planned c-section, you should be fine.

bloominginHK is offline Registered User
    My husband was with me as well in Prince of Wales. I also was very insistent that he be with me, I was incredibly nervous and anxious about it. They didn't argue. :)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Not sure how it works here, but in the US, in most hospitals husbands are not allowed in the room while the spinal is administered, so you may have to leave but allowed back in afterwards. I would think general anaesthetic is only done during emergencies, not planned sections.

carang is offline Registered User
    i had a planned c-section for my second. i had general anesthesia. i had been in a wheelchair for the 4 months prior to delivery due to severe back and hip pain (could not walk AT ALL it hurt so much). they were afraid if they gave me anything in the spine the pain might be permanent. therefore, it was deemed better to give me general.... personally, i MUCH, MUCH MUCH preferred the GA than the epi i had during my first. however, i know it is not the best way to go and if i had to choose it, i would not choose GA unless absolutely necessary.

forgot to say:
    #1: emergency c-section~~~ no hubby
    #2: planned c-section under GA~~~ no hubby....

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I delivered at Tuen Mun, and planned ahead, getting special permission and filling out forms to have my husband allowed inside. Despite having a written permission form, on the D-day, he was not allowed in after all, so a fat lot of good all that did (can you tell I'm still a bit upset about that?)!

I think every hospital is different in how hubby-friendly they are in the delivery suite, and beware they can change their mind at the last minute and there is little you can do about it. But it's worth it to try to go through the hoops anyway. It's really nice to have someone there to hold your hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast