Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Helpers need to go back to their home country for good after 6 years?

HK2008 is offline Registered User

Helpers need to go back to their home country for good after 6 years?

My helper got really worried today after receiving a phone call from a friend, who said two other helpers she knew of, had been recently refused by Immigration to have their contracts renewed, after working for the same employer for 6 years. They were asked to go back to their home country for good.

Is this true, or just a rumour? Has there been any update on the helpers PR eligibility issue?

Just assume what my helper heard was true, could I become her employer then, after she's employed by my husband for 6 years? I was hoping my hubby and I are considered two different employers to her, even she'd be looking after the same family?

carang is offline Registered User
    i have no idea if it is true or not.... it is was true, then what you propose would not be feasible. after living continuously in hk for a period of 7 years, they are eligible to apply for PR. it makes no difference whom the employer is. what counts is how long they've legally lived in hk.

Thanks Cara. My helper has already been in HK for 7 years, just has been with us for over 3 years. I really like her and would hope to continue to employ her no matter what happens.

carang is offline Registered User
    if she has already been here legally for 7 years, then i don't think they'll do anything to her ability to renew a contract. after all, she has already fulfilled the criteria and is now, possibly, eligible to apply for PR.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    FDHs still cannot apply for permanent residency. The judge ruled in the Helper's favour when one recently challenged the law as being unconstitutional. But the government have appealed so there is nothing is place yet.
    http://www.hkclic.org/en/topics/immi...lpers/q4.shtml

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vallejo...f_Registration
    Last edited by satay sue; 01-13-2012 at 09:52 AM.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HK2008 View Post
    My helper got really worried today after receiving a phone call from a friend, who said two other helpers she knew of, had been recently refused by Immigration to have their contracts renewed, after working for the same employer for 6 years. They were asked to go back to their home country for good.

Is this true, or just a rumour? Has there been any update on the helpers PR eligibility issue?

Just assume what my helper heard was true, could I become her employer then, after she's employed by my husband for 6 years? I was hoping my hubby and I are considered two different employers to her, even she'd be looking after the same family?
    Please let me know if you find this to be true - this will become a very big deal very quickly if Immigration are making these sorts of decisions currently. I think it is unlikely but if it's actually happening I would expect this to hit the headlines very quickly.

That was exactly what I thought too, NewDad. I googled it before posting this thread and got nothing of the sort. I kept reassuring my helper about that to no avail. She's happily working with us and is not ready to go back home yet.

I'll ask her to check with her friends again this weekend just to get more facts hopefully.

mb2
    mb2 is offline Registered User
    I guess it may not be true, otherwise it'll be on the news...

But it is true that some of my friends (some cases I have heard) don't want to renew the contract with the helper if she has been here for 6 year.. Don't want to be so complicated and face the minimum wage issue IN CASE their helpers become HK citizen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast