Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sanatorium or Adventist? AND Delivery budget

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Note that the private deluxe room will cost an additional 2k per night. Hence the total gets so high.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Lesliefu's numbers are correct. I paid about the same too for an uncomplicated 3-day delivery. The cost can be reduced by choosing a different class of room.
    Cost can also be reduced by haggling! Most people dont think about this option and many feel embarrassed, but the option is there and you can get significant savings by simply saying "I have no insurance, I cannot afford it and I need a break". We did and saved thousands.
    Hospitals are inflexible but doctors are quite flexible.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lina27 View Post
    So did you pay 43k in total WITH insurance coverage?
    43k was the bill..our health insurance covered it in entirety. Sanatorium billed me direct & I claimed back from the insurance provider so don't think the bill was influenced by private payer vs insurance payer.

hazelnut is offline Registered User
    The billing at Sanatorium is pretty transparent. We paid exactly the amount listed in the package brochure for a c section. Additional costs of $600 for my husband to accompany me in the operating room and $620 (approximately) for him to stay overnight in my room. No other costs unless you have other special blood tests or tests for the baby. The Bcg and hep b shots for baby are also included.

http://www.hksh.com/en/package/mater...ldelivery.html
    Posted via Mobile Device

lina27 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Cost can also be reduced by haggling! Most people dont think about this option and many feel embarrassed, but the option is there and you can get significant savings by simply saying "I have no insurance, I cannot afford it and I need a break". We did and saved thousands.
    Hospitals are inflexible but doctors are quite flexible.
    Interesting piece of information! Good to know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
    The billing at Sanatorium is pretty transparent...
    However, they add at the end of the package info: "Prices are subject to change without prior notice"

Sorry for perhaps a silly question, nonetheless: what does it mean to be in the 'general ward'? Does it mean I am with other women in the room during my delivery? Or delivery is always private: you , the doc and midwife? How many women are there (roughly) in the general ward at the Sanatorium?

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Either 6 or 8 beds in the general wards at Sanatorium. For the delivery, you go to the delivery room which is private and only you, midwives/Dr and doula/husband are in there.

Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Either 6 or 8 beds in the general wards at Sanatorium. For the delivery, you go to the delivery room which is private and only you, midwives/Dr and doula/husband are in there.
    Thanks, 2010-NewDad. I was totally clueless...

I am of two minds after following this thread. I don't have an insurance but I am reluctant to go to a public hospital (as supposedly epidural is not guaranteed as there is a shortage of anaesthetists; they are full of Mainlanders, etc.). If I had known in advance that I wouldn't have complications I would definitely go for a private hospital (I think your bill of 43k was reasonable, even 50-60k is still alright), but as you and others in this thread have mentioned complications can ballooon prices out of proportion. Is there a third way, an alternative?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast