Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Sanatorium or Adventist? AND Delivery budget

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Perhaps you can look into the costs at Adventist...they are 10-20% cheaper than sanatorium..I believe next ti Matilda t
    Sanatorium is one of the most expensive in town (at least HK side). Would you consider canossa? Does your doctor deliver there? I remember the costs there are a bit lower also...though it is in mid-levels, the drive from happy Valley should only take 20mins (no traffic) and that isn't too bad considering it's your first and the chances of delivering right away are not too high. Private at the public hospitals cost pretty much the same as going private in private hospitals so for you going to QMH would not be a very good option (in my opinion) as the travel time would be quite far fri. happy Valley...though I delivered at the adventist when living in Pokfulam and the ride was only 20mins (though it felt like eons!)....delivered at 6am though...,no traffic. You'll find plenty if mainlanders at the sanatorium too...I felt like an outcast there, and I'm local! Anyhow, they pretty much stick to themselves, they have a HUGE entourage so it kind if made me feel neglected (though my hubby, mom, helper and Grandma always came to visit!). All the best!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lina27 View Post
    I am of two minds after following this thread. I don't have an insurance but I am reluctant to go to a public hospital (as supposedly epidural is not guaranteed as there is a shortage of anaesthetists; they are full of Mainlanders, etc.).
    If lots of Mainlanders are a big concern, then steer clear of Sanatorium as my wife was the only non-Mainland woman in the ward. I have written elsewhere of some of the issues we had with the behaviour of the other patients - loud phone calls, excessive durian consumption, shouting husbands watching the racing at the end of the ward etc.

lina27 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    Perhaps you can look into the costs at Adventist...they are 10-20% cheaper than sanatorium..I believe next ti Matilda t
    Sanatorium is one of the most expensive in town (at least HK side). Would you consider canossa? Does your doctor deliver there?
    Although I don't know much about Canossa, I would consider it (as well as Adventist) if it has a good/decent reputation. I have to ask my doctor (Dr. Patrick Chan) where he delivers (for sure at Matilda and Sanatorium). How about St. Theresa? Although the drive might be too long - it's in Kowloon...

lina27 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    ... I have written elsewhere of some of the issues we had with the behaviour of the other patients - loud phone calls, excessive durian consumption, shouting husbands watching the racing at the end of the ward etc.
    Sounds quite annoying...

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    The reputation of canossa is good...at least from what I have heard. It's newly renovated so the comfort level would be quite good I believe...Adventist is in the midst of renovations so can be annoying sometimes.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    If lots of Mainlanders are a big concern, then steer clear of Sanatorium as my wife was the only non-Mainland woman in the ward. I have written elsewhere of some of the issues we had with the behaviour of the other patients - loud phone calls, excessive durian consumption, shouting husbands watching the racing at the end of the ward etc.
    Interesting, when I gave birth there 6 months ago, none of these at all. I had excellent rest and I wanted to stay there a 4th night :) It's a bigger hospital so there are more people around unlike Matilda. Matilda is more 'private' and you don't bump into people along the corridor. But I find Matilda old (service is first class though). After the my 2nd delivery (at Sanatorium), we went back to Matilda for photo-treatment. We were in a private room, and I recall I was wishing we were back in Sanatorium cos the room was so dark!

Sorry I side tracked. Back to Sanatorium. Highly recommended. Didn't experience any of the annoyance mentioned by others. It's certainly not cheap. My bill was 130+ for a 3 day normal delivery, no complication.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Interesting, when I gave birth there 6 months ago, none of these at all. I had excellent rest and I wanted to stay there a 4th night :) It's a bigger hospital so there are more people around unlike Matilda. Matilda is more 'private' and you don't bump into people along the corridor. But I find Matilda old (service is first class though). After the my 2nd delivery (at Sanatorium), we went back to Matilda for photo-treatment. We were in a private room, and I recall I was wishing we were back in Sanatorium cos the room was so dark!

Sorry I side tracked. Back to Sanatorium. Highly recommended. Didn't experience any of the annoyance mentioned by others. It's certainly not cheap. My bill was 130+ for a 3 day normal delivery, no complication.
    Interesting - not too far apart from my wife who gave birth 8 months ago. Guess it is luck of the draw then.... however I have no idea why your bill was more than 3x ours given we also had a 3 day stay with normal delivery and no complications? We were in the shared ward?

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    We had a private deluxe room. Hence the higher cost (every procedure is more expensive). Also had circumcision done, again added cost.

That's also probably why we didn't experience the din. As the private room was tucked right at the end with no traffic at all.

Our insurance covered it so it made sense to make ourselves comfortable .....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast