Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Nappy Bin

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User

Nappy Bin

Looking at purchasing one of those automatic nappy bins (Tommee Tippee I think) and was wondering if it is really worth it. I am planning to get it second hand so it will be cheaper but is it really better than just using a normal rubbish bin?

southside852 is offline Registered User
    Personally, I think nappy bins are a waste esp the automatic ones that ask you to buy special bags etc... We have a nappy safe, (was given to us for our first son 4 years ago). We used it a lot with him and I liked it b/c it takes any plastic bag and it just flips over the nappy. My 2nd son is now 15 months and I think we used the nappy safe for just the first 6 months. NOw it's in storage. In general, we never put our sons' dirty nappies in the safe as they would always go into a nappy bag, then into the main garbage immediately so it would be dumped out end of day. After 6 months, we just had a plastic bag on the door and dumped them all end of day when our main garbage would go out.

elle is offline Registered User
    We tried the automatic bins, and they were just too fussy. Now we use a regular bin with a lid and change the plastic liner 2x a day. We also sprinkle baking soda at the bottom of each plastic liner which does a lot to absorb any odor and is inexpensive.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    We just take our dirty nappies straight outside to the main garbage - it gets emptied at least 3 times a day anyway so isn't there for too long, and it's not stinking out our house. It only takes us an extra 15 seconds and costs us $0.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    We take the nappies straight out to the main garbage area...except in the evenings when we get lazy...either way we make sure to only stink up one place in the house (guest bathroom)...no extra cost involved, just a little mire time consumed.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    Thanks for your opinions! I think I can forget about the nappy bin then and just stick with a regular rubbish bin. Thought as much as I have heard the automatic bins can be a bit ticky.