Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Night sleep

supermom30 is offline Registered User

Night sleep

Hi- I am first time mom-to-be due in some days and wanted to clarify baby's sleeping habits?
    Should we buy a cot fitting our room or for nursery in the night?
    Most cots have bars and wont be easy to slide the baby so is it ok for baby to sleep us in bed for first few months since i assume when baby gets up and I need to breastfeed or should I keep milk bottles ready for the baby at night? Also shifting the baby after breastfeeding may awaken the baby again..
    Also, I am thinking going to baby's room every now and then will be problematic but dont want her to get into wrong habit of sleeping with us..
    what will be the best suggestion

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by supermom30 View Post
    If your end game is to have your baby sleep in his own room then buy a cot to fit the nursery.

is it ok for baby to sleep us in bed for first few months since i assume when baby gets up and I need to breastfeed or should I keep milk bottles ready for the baby at night?
    As newborn/infants, my two daughters NEVER slept in our beds at night due to the risk of SIDS. They slept in a small bassinet in our room till they were 4 months then they moved to their own cot in their own room.

I'd pick them up when they need a feed & breastfed in a separate room where there is a comfy chair. Don't worry about waking up the baby when picking him up at night because chances are he will be the one to wake you up first.
    lesliefu and supermom30 like this.

carang is offline Registered User
    we had a thing that we put in the bed between us for the first couple of months. it had hard sides and it protected the baby from being rolled over upon and from suffocating from blankets.

we moved from that to a cot when baby got to be about 2-3 months old. we put the cot in our room, because our older child's room was just too small.

then we moved house when she was about 6 months old. she remained in our room (along with our son) for about 4 months (our new house is very big). then they went into a room together. they happily shared for about 3 years. they've been on their own for just over a year, but would happily share again if i let them!

i liked having baby very close to me when they were very small. when they awoke in the night, daddy would get them and change their nappies, then pass me baby to breastfeed. he'd then put them back in their sleeping position. for us, this was more because of my own health reasons and immobility. once i started to get more mobile was when baby was transferred to own cot.
    supermom30 likes this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Same as pp...bassinet in the room at the moment. We'll move baby to her own room at 4 months when we plan to begin sleep training. once baby gets used to night feedings, it will be easy to put her back down to sleep in the night. At least that's my experience. I generally don't worry about disturbing her...she can be quite a noisy sleeper so it's really baby thats doing the disturbing!

southside852 is offline Registered User
    our sons slept in their own room in a crib right from birth. we actually only used a bassinet with my first, when we borrowed it from a friend. he never slept at night in it, but we left it downstairs so he could be with us when we were there etc..it was a lot of back and forth for the first couple of months, but we liked it that way especially when we needed to sleep train.
    supermom30 likes this.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Also, if you decide to room with baby I've found that on particularly difficult nights (or early mornings) nursing while side lying in bed has been a LIFESAVER! Might not be for everyone, but I also enjoy the extra snuggle time with baby. I wake my husband each time so he's aware of it.
    thanka2 likes this.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Hi- I am first time mom-to-be due in some days and wanted to clarify baby's sleeping habits?
    Most cots have bars and wont be easy to slide the baby so is it ok for baby to sleep us in bed for first few months since i assume when baby gets up and I need to breastfeed or should I keep milk bottles ready for the baby at night? Also shifting the baby after breastfeeding may awaken the baby again..
    Also, I am thinking going to baby's room every now and then will be problematic but dont want her to get into wrong habit of sleeping with us..
    what will be the best suggestion
    Some thoughts:
    1. If you are going to breastfeed, breastfeed. Don't use bottles at night. You will make a mess of problems for yourself if you try to use bottles at night and expect to BF in the morning. It doesn't work that way. You will have milk supply issues, nipple confusion issues, just to start.
    2. Most breastfeeding moms choose to co-sleep because its so much easier at night. It is not a "wrong habit". It is what women and babies have done for thousands of years and many women continue to do today.
    3. The truth about SIDS is that cultures that practice co-sleeping have a LOWER rate of SIDS than cultures where babies are put in cribs. No one knows really what causes SIDS.
    4. If you choose to put your baby in a crib or bassinet, that is simply your choice and neither good nor bad, right nor wrong. Same with co-sleeping. Don't do or not do something because someone on here said to do it or not do it. Choose what feels good to you and what you feel most comfortable with. Put the baby in a cot for a few nights and co-sleep a few nights and decide what works for your family. And don't feel your choice is wrong or bad!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I think you won't be able to really know what to do until you meet your child. You need to 1) meet your child and find out what his/her personality is like. 2) find out what type of parent are you (laid-back, stressed, perfectionist, easy-going...etc.). You also need to find out how feeding is going to go. I had every intention of breastfeeding my first child but ended up pumping and feeding him instead. Sounds like you want to breastfeed and are set on that, though.

But, be prepared. I would have a crib/pack n' play (portable crib)/bassinet or something of that as a bed for baby ready. Just somewhere for the baby to sleep if the baby isn't sleeping in your bed. If you don't have much room, just buy a pack n' play (portable crib) or a bassinet as they take up less room and will be useful for the first couple of months. They also can be moved in between rooms easily.

With my first child, we didn't really know what we were doing. We had a bassinet/crib for him but as it turned out he had to co-sleep with us for the first couple of months anyway. It wasn't a problem except that he moves too much and snores while he sleeps and we weren't getting any good rest. So, then we transitioned him into a crib in a separate room--worked well with the first one. But, with him I had breastfeeding problems so ended up pumping almost exclusively so he was having bottle feeds from the beginning.

With our second, breastfeeding was and is so much easier. She's also a very peaceful sleeper. Falls asleep in one position and wakes up in the same position--doesn't kick or snore. :) And we didn't really plan it this way but she co-slept with us for the first 4-5 months. I got EXCELLENT sleep and just breastfed throughout the night. Never had any problems with it at all. Co-sleeping is pretty natural and there are safe ways to do it. You hear these stories of babies being rolled over on or smothered from co-sleeping and I just marvel at that because as a new mother (or a mother for a second time with a newborn) I wake up with every sniffle, sound, cough and movement of my baby and neither my husband nor I drink or use drugs so we are pretty alert even when we're sleeping. But, definitely, breastfeeding is a breeze when you co-sleep.

Now my daughter sleeps in a pack n' play crib in another room. We do have my son's crib but it's bigger and we don't really want to set it up. Time goes by quickly and soon she'll be a 1-year-old. We plan to put her in a "big kid" bed in her brother's room after she's a year old so at this point we won't be setting up another bulky crib for her.

I second what genkimom said. Be prepared (your child should have a safe place to sleep available--such as a crib/bassinet/portable crib) but also be flexible because at this point you have no idea what birth, recovery from birth and your newborn are going to be like--that's going to be a very personal experience for you.
    supermom30 likes this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast