Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper wages

burrcl is offline Registered User

Helper wages

Hi,

We've recently had our first helper start with us. What with all the public hols this month, and her starting mid-month, I've been wondering how I work out how much she should be paid this month. Can you please let me know what you would make it, based on the following:
    On minimum wage of 3740 (for now!)
    Started on 10th Jan?

I'm never really quite sure how you pro-rata something - over the 31 days, or just 'working days'? I'm happy to pay her for the bank hols as it seems likely that she'll end up doing stuff for us those days even though we won't ask her to - just how she is.

Your suggestions appreciated on how you would calculate it!
    Thanks,
    C

Last edited by burrcl; 01-17-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Hi. Whenever I pro-rata, I do it based on the number of days in the respective months involved, including Sundays as it is a salaried position. So 31 days for January.

Last edited by Liquorice; 01-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.

miran is offline Registered User

same here... just like Liquorice

penelope is offline Registered User

Same for bank holidays, they re paid days as well

blessed is offline Registered User

same as above, we used the number of days in the month when our helper first started with us.

we paid her for the statutory holidays as well, even legally they should be on "no pay leave" on such holidays during the first 3 months of their contract (my company does that to new employees too, not very nice...).
    http://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/faq/cap57f_whole.htm

newbaby01 is offline Registered User

Why don't you just pay her on the 10th of each month? I pay my helper on the day she started each month that way we don't have to worry about prorating the first and last month. Of course this does not solve prorating for statutory holidays if you chose not to pay for those during the first 3 months.

Gracey is offline Registered User

If you count PHs and Saturdays, it means she will work 19 days out of a possible 26 in January. I figured out that that is HK $2733.

burrcl is offline Registered User

Thanks All. Hadn't thought of paying her on the 10th of each month to be honest, but I think to tie things in to when hubbie is paid I'd prefer to do it at the end of each month.

And thanks for your workings Gracey. I worked out your way at $2733, and also pro-rating over 31 days @ 22 days work from 10-31st at $2654. I just did a straight 22 days for the food allowance as I figured she has to eat every day, but will have think about which calculation to use (I know it's only $79 difference, so nothing really...).

Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast