Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

What I love about breastfeeding

evgreen is offline Registered User
    Tai Tam

Red face What I love about breastfeeding

Wanted to start this thread and see how many things we can add on about what breastfeeding moms love about breastfeeding. As a new mom, I think a thread like this would've been really helpful and encouraging during the first few rough weeks of breastfeeding - especially when you feel like you want to reach for a bottle of formula because you feel like baby isn't 'getting enough' or you're just too exhausted from sleepless nights. I'm really happy that I stuck with it. My goal at first was to breastfeed for 6 months, but I'm enjoying it so much that I want to keep going for at least a year!

The most rewarding moment of breastfeeding to me is when my little one looks up and beams at me mid-feeding. Wouldn't trade that smile for the world
    Lali07, blessed and genkimom like this.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    What a lovely thread!

As well as the sweet smile that evgreen describes above, I love it how it calms him down when he's had a fright or fall, the tension disappears and his whole body relaxes when he nurses..

TNT is offline Banned
    Hong Kong
    Both of the above! How I didn't have to take bottles etc when we were out and about, or worry about the temperature, water etc; my milk was always there. Especially when travelling long haul when you have so many other things to carry! It comforts and sooths as much as it provides fluids and food...

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i liked what i found to be the humorous side of things:

-- my let down was so powerful that baby ALWAYS started spluttering and had to pull off.... i would LITERALLY spray across the living room!
    --showering, or rather, getting out of the shower clean was a challenge... the warm water would cause a "let down" and so, getting out of the shower without being covered in milk was a difficult challenge
    --i would let down when MY DOGS would whine at me!
    evgreen likes this.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I like the cuddling part. My second child is a cuddly baby unlike my first child--her personality is more suitable to breastfeeding than my first child's was.

As a working mother I find that breastfeeding is good for me as it helps me feel good about myself--I just feel good providing for my child this way and also the bits of quality, focused time here and there are good. It's good for my mental health. It's something I can encourage myself with when I get down on myself about all my faults (or when others do). I can say, "Gold star for me, I'm still breastfeeding even though it's not always easy." It probably doesn't mean anything to anyone else but it's helpful to me. Also, my daughter's health is awesome--hasn't had any illnesses beyond a mild fever when she was teething once in 10 months.

If you go back and read this thread you can see it hasn't been easy. My goal was eight weeks this time around. I told myself I'd give it eight weeks because of what I put myself through with my son and breastfeeding (six months of misery pretty much). But, yes, my daughter turned 10-months-old yesterday and we're still breastfeeding 3-4 times/day.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

catan is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Breastfeeding makes things so easy! No hassle with bottles or formula or temperature. No worries about quantity. Poops aren't smelly (well, before solids, lol). Nice cuddle time. And easy at night-- I don't have to get up, I just latch my daughter on and we fall back asleep. At 7 months, she's still waking every 2-3 hours to nurse, but I don't feel tired or sleep-deprived.
    thanka2 likes this.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    What a nice idea to start this thread! it's so encouraging.

The truth is, I don't love breastfeeding, but carting around pumped milk and pump supplies and figuring out a way to carry it all while on the go while relying on public transportation (and needing an hour to get to anywhere I need to go) is just too much for me. And I just don't trust formula companies to create 100% worry free products. So I breastfeed. Perhaps reading other people's comments on why they love it might help me find something to love about it. Thanks for starting the thread!

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I loved it because:

-It is the best/ safest food for my babies.
    -After giving them life in my tummy for 9 months I could still give them what they needed to survive.
    -holding them in such a sweet embrace.
    -knowing I'm lowering mine and their chances of developing breast cancer (as well as a whole host of other issues.)
    -breast fed babies don't poop that much! ;-)
    -Always having milk easily ready and available
    -calming them after a vaccine or other painful experience
    -not having to worry about formula contamination or running out of formula
    -not having to heat a bottle EVER, but especially in the middle of the night...

That's just a few.
    Lali07 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast