Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Circumcision - Would you/Did you circumcise your baby boy at birth?

Lali07 is offline Registered User

We didn't. Its a very sensitive subject, but I can't get past the fact that its unacceptable to surgically alter a baby girl's genitalia, so not sure why baby boys aren't afforded the same consideration. The risks of problems arising in the uncircumcised and circumcised penis are similar percentage-wise, so for all the trauma, the risks of one are replaced with the risks of another.

The below websites helped us to make our decision in the days before our son was born. Please don't shoot the messenger!

**Warning: very confronting images and wording*http://www.drmomma.org/

For information presented in a less confronting way:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/pre...not-circumcise

matemate and burrcl like this.

southside852 is offline Registered User

we did ours in singapore on day 2 with our #2 son. with our first son we did it day 8. anything later is out of the question.

MommieMid is offline Registered User

Obiwan,
    What are your thoughts on circumicision?
    What is it that makes you consider the procedure for your baby? You must be having doubts, for you to question the validity of the procedure. I believe that you need to be absolutely convinced in the value of such a significant alteration of anatomy, before you go ahead. I assume that you have read the literature on the alteration in sensitivity of the prepuce versus the risk of urinary tract infections in the young boy. Arguments that it is safer for the female partner is, in my opinion, not something that should weigh in your decision-making.
    Some families circumcise so that son looks like father, but I doubt the value in that reasoning, as I don't believe that your boy will notice a difference or feel 'different'.

I have witnessed circumcisions in babies and unless there is an important medical consideration, agree with lali that society considers female genital mutilation as unacceptable, yet largely ignore male circumcison as an issue.

I believe that if you opt for the circumcision, you can delay the final decision and procedure until your baby is older. You do not have to undergo this, in the early days.

matemate is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by southside852 View Post
    we did ours in singapore on day 2 with our #2 son. with our first son we did it day 8. anything later is out of the question.
    southside, why is it ok for you to do it earlier but anything later is out of question?

southside852 is offline Registered User

oh sorry did not clarify, for us we just thought it would be more painful, but I have also heard that if done later, the child might have to use an anesthesia. our sons just had local to numb it.....

tali_b is offline Registered User

we did it on the 8th day of birth - it's not a big deal

we did it mainly for religious reasons, but you can't overlook the medical aspects... you have nothing to warry about as long as the procedure will be performed by a professional. if done right at birth, it's not as painful to the baby as you might imagine. as far as I know there's some medical - biological explanation for why jews do the circumcision on the 8th day, something about it being less painful and safer - you should google that.

good luck
    -tali-

Last edited by tali_b; 01-22-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Lali07 is offline Registered User

I can't comment on doing it for religious reasons, as I'm not in that position. I do know that there is no place for it in modern Christianity (i.e. new covenant / new testament), for biblical references see http://www.udonet.com/circumcision/christian.html. However for those who believe it doesn't hurt - it is a sensitive part of the body with plentiful nerve endings and blood supply - it does hurt, this is very well documented. *Warning, confronting images and wording* http://www.drmomma.org/2011/04/is-pa...uly-brief.html. Not trying to 'make' anyone feel guilty, if you are comfortable with your decision then so be it, but for those who are expecting a baby boy, please do your research before hastily making the decision based on cultural or family norms. As others have stated above, there are no valid medical reasons for routine circumcision.

tali_b is offline Registered User

you do know that there is a big difference between boys Circumcisions and girls Circumcisions right?
    boys Circumcisions - done for various medical reasons, doesn't affect the ability to achieve sexual stimulation.
    girl Circumcisions - done by some Muslims, in order to prevent girls from having sexual stimulation that might cause them to act in a way who will jeopardies thier marriage possibilities. it's mutilation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast