Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Help: moving to hong kong - looking for a nursery for my 18 month old baby boy

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by tali_b View Post
    what's the point of enrolling him to pre-school if I need to accmpany him??? the all purpose was that I'll have a few hours for myself... isn't there a pre-school without unreasonable whims?
    That is just how things are done here. If you want a few hours to yourself, you'll need to do what other expats do - hire a full time domestic helper who can help with childcare, or get a nanny. There are also a few babysitting services around, but not many with English speaking sitters.

Once your child is two unaccompanied preschool is an option.

carang is offline Registered User
    these are NOT whims of the pre-school. any school offering classes for children under the age of 3 (no parents) must register with the education dept AND also the social services dept (as a child-care centre).

you are moving across the world. you need to expect things to be different to how they are done where you are from. (that's half the fun of living overseas!)

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Like others said, they don't have daycare centers like they have at home (Europe / US). You hire a helper a live-in helper (living out is illegal but it does happen) to do that job, among the other things she can do for you (cooking, cleaning, etc.). Then most preschools start taking them from 2 years unaccompanied for 3 hours a day. Popular ones are Woodlands, Sunshine House, Tutor Time, etc.

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    Day care in Hong Kong is rare for young babies/ toddlers, as most working women hire a domestic helper to care for their newborn, and go back to work shortly after the birth. They then place the baby in these two hour sessions, once the helper or Mommie can accompany the growing toddler.

I would suggest applying now for September, for the kindergarten/ nurseries that appeal to you. The places are already allocated for this coming academic year, but I have no doubt that some will consider late applications.
    http://www.chsc.hk/kindergarten/

The following kindergartens seem to have nurseries which I believe may be suitable for your baby's needs.

Would you consider local cantonese day care? If so, the following organisation, and the supervisor/ headmistress of the school is superb, in my opinion.

CARITAS NURSERY SCHOOL - KENNEDY TOWN
    FLOOR 2, BLOCK A, 1/F (PORTION), M1/F (PORTION) &, 2/F OF BLOCK B, CARITAS SOCIAL CENTRE KE, 27 POKFIELD ROAD, KENNEDY TOWN, HONG KONG

CARMEL SCHOOL (Jewish Hebrew School)
    FLOOR 3&4, 70 ROBINSON ROAD, MID-LEVEL, HONG KONG

Best of luck!

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    Both of these look great. I don't think that you could go wrong with either choice;

http://www.carmel.edu.hk/ganeynu/Curriculum.aspx
    http://www.caritas.org.hk/swsd/cc/apply.htm

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Another local place, the HKSPC runs a daycare/creche which takes children under 2 yrs
    http://www.hkspc.org/php/webcms_en/p...mode=published

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12