Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Casual baby help?

Gracey is offline Registered User

Casual baby help?

I'll be going back to work soon and am worried what will happen if my helper gets sick or can't come to work.
    There seems to be a lack of part-time baby-sitting options, maybe because FT helpers are so available.
    I tried a student, who seemed nice, but I don't know if I can leave an infant with her all day. Maybe when my child is older, but not now.
    I called Rent-A-Mum, but they said I could either hire a full-time nanny, or a part-time babysitter for a child over the age of 3.
    Any suggestions? My baby will be 6 months when I go back.

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    Gracey,
    Your situation must be so common and yet difficult to resolve for expat working mommies.

I think that you are correct that an untrained person who is young/ late teens, does not have the skills to care for a young baby/ toddler for a full day or even for a full afternoon with an awake baby. I believe that is true even if the young person has younger siblings.
    It may be worth calling the nursing agencies in Hong Kong. They have trained care asistants who are certified, interviewed and referenced. These women may also have had their own children or even grandchildren. They cost approximately $60 dollars per hour. If you try out some care assistants whilst you are still at home, then you may get a list of supportive help that they may be able to call in, on the last minute. I know of 'Bamboos', but there are others.

It is important to remember that your baby will be small for a very short time. In six months, your baby will be much more robust and you will perceive this transition back to work very differently. In six months, your baby will be in a settled routine and so leaving her occasionally with an unfamiliar carer, will not be as traumatic for either of you. Your baby will have transitioned through sitting to tummy crawling, to trying to stand, to possibly walking a few steps. Your main consideration will be to ensure that your home is safe for an active baby, so that you have little worries about what your baby is doing, whilst you are out.

Good luck!

eldocher is offline Registered User
    I am British, 16 year old girl, and have lived in Hong Kong all my life. I have been looking for part time work over the summer as either an english tutor for young children or a babysitter.

I love children and have had experience looking after my little cousins and children in the plays i have been in the past two years.

Please message me if you are interested or if you know of any families that need a babysitter or english tutor.
    Thank you,

Ellen

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Gracey, from your previous posts it seems like you have relatives in HK, so making use of them or their helpers when your one goes 'down' for a short time makes sense.
    I think it's harder for those who have no family but from what I've seen they borrow a helper for the day from a friend (if the friend has more than one helper) or else drop their child off to the friend (usually someone with a child that the LO has been having play dates with.
    The other thing I've done which I absolutely loath is to take annual leave......

Scroll to top