Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

breastfeed, feeling drained, especially at night

jamiexchan is offline Registered User

breastfeed, feeling drained, especially at night

I am breastfeeding my baby girl and top up with 1-2 formula milk a day. The morning feed is usually with the most milk supply, and the supply goes down along the day. And i am feeling almost completely drained before the last meal at night, and that probably won't be enough for the baby to last for 2 hours.

Does it mean i don't get enough milk, and the only way is to top up with formula? Are there anything i could do to improve the situation?

Cherina is offline Registered User
    Probably the best way for you to improve your milk supply is to feed your baby as often as you can (especially if your baby is less then 6 weeks old). Don't wait until your breasts feel "full", it's really not necessary. The more often you feed, the more milk you will make. Don't forget that babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than a pump or hand expressing. Even if you don't think you have much milk baby will probably still be getting plenty.

If you're feeding formula too you can get into a downward spiral of producing less and less of your own milk.

La leche league in HK is really useful in helping solve BF issues. I would recommend you call one of their leaders for some more specific advice.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I agree with all of the above, but also have a few things to add (actually, this might get long, so grab a cup of tea):
    1. Try a day of BFing alone. Does baby have at least 6 wet nappies in a 24 hour period? If yes, then baby does not need to be fed formula at all. However, you still may not be making enough to meet her demand, even though you are making enough to sustain her.
    2. make sure your latch is correct. is baby drinking all that milk or is she gumming yor nipples and not getting any sustenance? Get a lactation consultant to weigh baby before and after a feed and see how many MLs baby is getting in a feed. The LC will also check your latch is correct.
    3. Try the "24 hour cure". Arrange to have someone care for all your needs while you spend the entire 24 hours in bed constantly nursing baby (make sure latch is good first or this won't work). have some Lanolin to keep your nipples from getting too sore. Don't do a thing except eat (in bed) and feed baby. the following day, your supply should increase significantly.
    4. Get a good double electric pump, if you are intent on feeding breast milk. Pump every two hours around the clock for about a week. You will feel very tired, and night pumpings will be HARD, but you will see a significant increase within a week.
    5. Eat and drink foods that increase milk supply. Here is a partial list (many more on the internet), and there are many others, but these are the ones that worked for me:
    -Guiness lager (black and thick): drink 1 hour before a feed so you process the alcohol, but Guiness is an awesome milk maker!
    -Fenugreek
    -Goat's Rue
    -Anise
    -Oatmeal (make it with Milk for a calcium boost! Calcium can increase milk supply)
    -Domperidone (available at any local drug store)
    -Mother's Milk tea
    -Lots of clean water! Lots! Lots!!!!!

It takes about a week to improve your supply noticeably, and as much as 4 weeks to make a significant improvement. Dont give up just because you aren't suddenly gushing milk after a day ot two of trying these things. Try to pump after each feeding to completely drain the breast. If your baby is a sleeper and sleeps for 4 hours at a time, get a pumping in between feeds. Don't let those breasts rest too long...its all about supplying a demand. Be demanding, and you will get a supply!

I suffer from chronic low supply, and breasts that have a very low maximum milk capacity (this has nothing to do with physical size; little A breasts can have a 6 oz capacity and DD's can have a 1 oz capacity). Despite my low milk capacity, I can support my child on BF alone because I do all of the above. As you probably dont have this issue, I know you will be OK!
    recurring likes this.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    My milk supply is exactly the same -- tons in the morning, less at night.
    In the morning, I feed one side (it's enough for her) and pump the other side.
    Then, in the evening, I give her the pumped milk.
    Using more than 1 formula a day will cause you supply to go down.

BlossomDB is offline Registered User
    Hi Jamiexchan,

Some great tips from the moms above!

If you'd like to speak with someone directly regarding your situation, please feel free to call or email us. We don't normally charge for phone or email consultations..

Warm regards,

Elena

southside852 is offline Registered User
    like those mentioned above, the more you feed directly, the more milk you'll have. in btw your feeds do you pump at least to keep up the sucking feeling? your feeding schedule sounds a bit like you are weaning off the breast.....

NewBunny is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiexchan View Post
    I am breastfeeding my baby girl and top up with 1-2 formula milk a day. The morning feed is usually with the most milk supply, and the supply goes down along the day. And i am feeling almost completely drained before the last meal at night, and that probably won't be enough for the baby to last for 2 hours.

Does it mean i don't get enough milk, and the only way is to top up with formula? Are there anything i could do to improve the situation?
    How old is your baby? I am BF 100% and can understand your anxiety. I am on Day 12 with my boy, and BF situation is much more manageable now.
    suggestions: 1. You have to make sure that your milk flow is good...check for lumps in your breasts, one may be different from another. 2. use warm compress before BF 3. get lactation help; i used a lactation consultantant prenatal and 2 visits which are helpful. 3. I am not sure what you mean by "completely drained before the last meal at night"...elaborate? 4. get enough rest and try as much as possible not to be stressed out about BF; I know first hand it's hard but trying is needed :)

good luck!

I find pumping difficult since I am not using commercial / hospital grade - just Advent.

jamiexchan is offline Registered User
    thanks for all the advices. i did not have good experience with pumps. i got. tommy tippee manual pump, a medela electric pump, both did not do a good job. they just pump out a small amount of milk, i can still feel lumps in my breast even when no milk can be expressed. i did a visit to a lactatin consultant and she think the reason is my milk supply is too low to be effectively pumped.
    i am no longer confident in breastfeeding... don't wanna starve the baby...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast