Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Kirst22

20 weeks scan in kowloon

divi_rohi is offline Registered User

20 weeks scan in kowloon

I am 20 weeks pregnant and will be delivering at Princess Margaret. For the 20 week scan the hospital advised me to get it done in private. Any suggestions where should i get the scan preferably on kowloon side.

MommieMid is offline Registered User
    I am interested in why the public hospital doesn't offer the routine 20 week ultrasound scan. Is this normal?

If you are paying for an ultrasound scan, then I would suggest going to a fetal medicine department.
    Looking at the Chinese University fetal medicine unit website, the costs seem to be $2550 HKD for the morphology scan.
    Is that what the 20 week anomaly scan normally costs here?

https://www.fetalmedicine.hk/en/mainmenu.asp
    If you call the department and ask for the 20 week ANOMALY fetal scan, then hopefully they will be able to make an appointment or direct you to an equally good unit.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    I also had the same experience at Princess Margaret. I was booked in at 7 weeks so I don't understand how I could have missed out on getting the 20 week scan "as they were fully booked". But I was happy to go to my private OBGYN. Cost was $600 which is what I pay for each appointment with her. However the first time you see her for pregnancy it might be more. I use a doctor at Dr. Vio and Partners. The have offices with OBGYNs in both Central and Tsim Sha Tsui that I know of.

divi_rohi is offline Registered User
    I guess they do either 12 week or 20 week scan. I had my 12 week scan there.

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    The 12 week scan is for downs syndrome. And as long as you register before 12 weeks they will fit you in for this one (seems they are now doing universal screening for this), if you register after 12 weeks I think there is one they do for downs at 16 weeks. The 20 week scan however seems to be much harder to get. Seems all the expats I know that are using a public hospital were told that they would need to see a private doctor for this as the hospital was fully booked. I guess they assume we can afford it.

Kirst22 is offline Registered User
    I had my 20 week scan today with Dr Lam - 31F, Henley building on Queens Road Central. I think you need to be referred by a Dr. It cost $2000 and was 3D or even 4D - amazing!!! I had my last child in London on the NHS and never experienced anything like this with a 12 week ultrasound. Dr Lam and his assistant spend about 20 minutes or more ... they check everything - the nose, each nostrils, eye sockets, that the lips are separated, the ears, heart, kidneys, fingers, toes, sex organs (we closed our eyes for this as we do not want to know the gender) ... the clinic I believe is the only or one of only in HK ... he goes to the top of the head and you can actually see inside the brain with all 4 chambers, when he checks the heart and you can see the 4 chambers clearly and the size of the major vein and aorta. They give you several pictures and a DVD.
    Catalu and Fayris like this.