Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

settling issues - 8 month old

catan is offline Registered User

When my baby was younger, she used to sleep in 3-5 hour stretches at night. This stopped around 4 months, when she started getting distracted nursing during the day, she began to nurse more frequently and efficiently at night. I let her nurse whenever she wants so that she gains weight sufficiently and my milk supply stays up to meet her needs. So far it's been working. I don't feel tired during the day and don't nap at all. Baby naps a few times a day, maybe 30-60 minutes at a time.

Earlier, I was advised by her ped to nurse her more during the day so she sleeps at night, and I tried this with no success. She won't nurse when she's not interested, and she won't stay awake when she's sleepy. Babies have a mind of their own! I guess I am adjusting myself to suit her. I fall asleep once she's latched on at night... I'm so used to it I barely notice it anymore. I manage to get 6-7 hours of sleep at night, albeit interrupted.

My husband sleeps in a separate room because the night waking bothers him. Occasionally, our baby starts crying a lot and screams at night (teething), and this makes it very difficult for us both. So our routine now is working.

Quote Originally Posted by MommieMid View Post
    Catan,
    Does this suit you? I ask because every Mommie is different and this may be the way you wish to care for your baby. I can certainly identify with you and this method of breastfeeding. I have certainly managed to live this this way, for numerous babies. At some point you may get tired of your baby waking every one to two hours during the night. You may wish to regulate her schedule so that you have a more peaceful night.
    Maybe you wish to observe her patterns for a few days and see whether there are any slight adjustments or improvements that can be made in her daytime routine in order to enable her to be more settled at night.
    This is only meant to be a kind thought, and I think that you are fantastic to have some much commitment to breastfeeding and fulfilling the needs of your baby!

Gracey is offline Registered User

We "cluster feed" before bedtime -- I let her take as much milk as she wants. Usually, during the day, we have structured time feeds. But between 8-10 pm, she just feeds and feeds. Usually, there's a bottle at 8, followed by breastfeeding. That way we know she is 100% full, and doesn't get hungry at night.

Also, we use a later bedtime than most. She takes a brief sleep at 7-ish, and wakes up at 8 for her bottle. Then we feed and feed till 10 pm. Then she sleeps from 11pm till the next morning.

I know other moms use 7 or 8 pm bedtimes, but I find it too early. I know she's not going to sleep for 12 hours straight. So, instead, we do the opposite. I make sure she's awake and eating from 8-10pm, so she's really exhausted by 10:30 or 11. She falls asleep on the breast, lies down in bed, and usually doesn't get up till 8am.

Good luck!

Daya is offline Registered User

Dear all,
    Thanks so much for your time and replies. As I'm sure you all know, it can feel a little like you're the only one with any concerns until you speak to others. Often it's just nice to know that my baby is totally normal, and it's great to get other people's ideas so we can try something new.
    Newdad, it really is fantastic for you that your baby is able to settle so well now. We tried staying with our little one, but not picking her up one night and I couldn't bear to hear her cry, so I picked her up and managed only to confuse her which was horrible. I think we have to be consistent like you were, but I'm just not up to it.
    Catan, at the moment, I'm pretty much doing what you're doing, the difference is that I'm not managing to fall right back to sleep anymore. I used to, so I don't know why I'm waking up so fully at the moment. It is making me tired though.
    Gracey, such a long stretch of sleep sounds amazing... I just don't think I could keep my baby up so late. She's unusually knackered by the time she goes down at about 7pm.
    Mommiemid, thanks for all your advice, it's very kind of you. I'm going to try and answer your questions properly in a new post as my baby has just woken from her nap!
    Thanks again all.

evgreen is offline Registered User

I'm using the pick up/put down sleep training method by the baby whisperer. There is some crying involved but the process allows you to pick up your baby and soothe them and then putting them straight back into the crib as soon as the crying stops. For us the first 3 night were the hardest. I had to repeat the process 100 times the 2nd night. Last night (the 5th night), I plopped her into her bassinet and she whined for about 5 minutes and went to sleep on her own. My girl is 4 months though so I'm not sure how it works for an older baby. The key to sleep training success though is consistency and determination. You can visit this link for more info http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/2009...d-tbw.html?m=1

evgreen is offline Registered User

P.s. the process can be kind of back breaking so be sure to enlist your husband for a massage! But it was worth it and I can say was able to help her thru the entire process of letting her self soothe.

Gracey is offline Registered User

I speak too soon!
    Baby was lovely until 5 months. Then she fell off the rails.
    There were many changes in her life. She started solids. Mom went back to work. She got moved out of the little bassinet in our room to her own nursery. And her first tooth started poking out.
    I thought it'd be temporary. But it's been almost a month of sleepness night.
    For a while, I gave up entirely and went back to walking up and down the hallway, breastfeeding endlessly and co-sleeping.
    Two weeks ago, we started "hush / pat" and "pick up / put down." These techniques are nice and gentle. And she is improving slowly with them -- settling with less help from me, and spending the night (though disrupted) in her own cot.
    BUT it's a slow improvement. And I'm back to full-time work and exhausted, with no help at night.
    So now I'm considering doing 3 nights of controlled crying. What do you guys thinks?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12