Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By m_c

English antenatal classes - Benefits? & if its availble at Princess Margaret Hospital

lucks is offline Registered User

English antenatal classes - Benefits? & if its availble at Princess Margaret Hospital

Hi,

I am expecting my first baby and was wondering -

- Is it really beneficial to join antenatal classes? if yes, any suggestions for good english antenatal classes?

- Does Princess Margaret Hospital (PMH) also provide english antenatal classes?

Thanks a ton in advance!

carang is offline Registered User
    of course there are benefits, that's why they are so popular. people research buying a new tv, a new car and new computers.... they should also research childbirth and child rearing.... (actually, i think parenting classes should be mandatory!)

i found the classes provided by the public hospitals not to be as good or as comprehensive as those provided by private institutions.

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    It depends. If you're planning a vaginal delivery or want to breastfeed, then yes. If you're going elective c-section and formula feeding, then possibly not so much.

I went to Annerley midwives on HK island and it was very useful. However, whilst I would say that I totally advocate what they are telling you in terms of coping with childbirth, I do think the reality of delivering in a HK hospital (especially the public hospitals) makes realising those ideals close to impossible, unless you are very strong willed and prepared to fight your corner re birthing positions/ intervention etc.

miran is offline Registered User
    we enjoyed ours... being first time parents it was good to get a comprehensive overall look at birthing and some aspects of parenting. much better than getting partial semi-true info from net or freinds (however well meaning it might be).

we took thefamilyzone.hk classes. they were not overtly long or preachy. that's what we liked about Yvone - she is no particular camp: her classes are useful irrespective of wether you have a normal delivery, emergency c-sec or elective c-sec. she guides on breastfeeding while not being hysterically against formula. she is not for gina ford routines. it's just an informative class with balanced views. which is probably what first time parents need most :)

m_c
    m_c is offline Registered User
    Princess Margaret Hospital does not provide English antenatal classes. I wish they would as I have seen many non-Chinese mums there for appointments. I am not going to any antenatal classes as they are just so expensive and don't really fit in with my husband's schedule (and I think the classes would be more for him to find out more info than me). I have had friends who went public say that the private antenatal classes were not really useful as many of the things that are discussed are just not available / allowed in public hospitals. So I have just been reading books, researching online and talking to friends to get more information.
    recurring likes this.

lucks is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot everyone fir your valuable inputs :)