Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

5 years old...cant read, please help

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    i second starfall and reading eggs. they are entertaining and fun, but i feel only as supplement. jolly phonics is great, it's got rhymes and songs that are catchy and helps very much with blending. (ive never learnt letterland, so i cant comment) i think it takes a few reading "programs", not just one to help a child be literate.

i would check with the school on which reading programs they are on and work with them, so that i can help reinforce what has been learnt at school, at home. there are high frequency words books around, oxford tree books as well as online resources like http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/literacy.html

as a matter of fact. i only learnt to read at 8 years old, at school. before that, everything was a blur :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    If you have an iPhone or an iPad, there are TONS of those kinds of apps. My daughter is only 3 so the ones I have are probably not advanced enough for you - but from that (and also from watching Word World), she knows almost all her letter sounds and is already starting to put them together. I've put absolutely no pressure on her at all to learn to read - she DOES go to kindy and they do a little bit in a non-pressure way, but she is just picking it up from educational games and shows. It's not too late to catch up.

The other thing - do you read to her? Having a love for reading and an interest in books is important in learning to read. If you don't have many books, take her to the library and just spend an hour reading to her. It'll be great for her :)
    pixelelf likes this.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    I second Satay Sue. In the US kids don't even start Kindy till age 5. Granted maybe some that are gifted or with very involved parents start kindergarten knowing how to read most do not.

miran is offline Registered User
    Nicole... my son has just turned 3 too. Would love to know the names of some apps you mentioned. at the moment his ipod is mostly being used to watch toons on youtube. which we dont mind coz he doesnt use it for long but would be great to upload something more interactive for him. Thanks.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    There's a great iPad app called Mr Thorne Does Phonics. It's British pronunciation (great for us!) and is not cheap - but well worth it, I think.
    We also have a few Word World books on the iPad.
    Just search for Phonics in the iTunes store, and be sure to read the reviews of what is good or not so good.

I was lucky with my firstborn - he was a natural reader and could read simple books when he was 2! (no kidding!!) My second son is now 4.5yrs old, knows his letter sounds and recognizes a few words, but can't blend and shows no interest in learning. *Sigh* It's going to be a bit of a battle with him. But I think the key is repetition, repetition, repetition; lots of patience; lots of reading and rhyming and word games; make the process fun; don't pressurize; don't spend more than 10 minutes at a time on it; let the school help!
    miran likes this.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    If it helps, my cousin couldn't read until he was 10. Everyone thought he was educationally subnormal. He ended up going to Cambridge University!

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    DH is freaking because DD2 can't "read" and she too is 5. DD1 was able to read sentences at 4 so he expects the same thing.

I didn't like starfall or Reading Eggs. starfall because simply because it was too hard to navigate and I had to sit with DD the whole time. Reading Eggs was a little better because she could navigate it herself but teaching kids phonics using caps only is not how children are taught once they start school (and DD1 had to 'unlearn' some of that before she could move on because she learned started learning in CAPS before I looked into it further) and the site never really worked well on my Mac, no matter what applications or emails I sent to the guys.

I have not tired the other sites mentioned here but have tested Phonics Hero which is new http://www.phonicshero.com/public/ and DD2 loves it. It also sends me reports on the letters that DD2 is doing, what I can do to fill in the learning gaps and generally how she is progressing. Reading Eggs didn't provide this and I have found it very useful.

You may want to start though by reading this article which talks about the learning to read process and the pre-reading things you can do (such as reading to DD like you are). http://www.essentialkids.com.au/ente...623-1ggtx.html

Once you have those up and running if you want to do more, take a look at Get Reading Right who have a parents pack to help teach phonics at home in an interactive and fun environment for both DD and yourself. http://www.getreadingright.com.au/program/ they have both free resources and products you can purchase from the site.

Good luck and in two years when DD is reading like a Hero you will wonder why you were worried

Disclaimer: GRR was once a Client of mine. All materials and subscriptions are paid for by me personally and statements posted here are my own personal experiences.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by miran View Post
    Nicole... my son has just turned 3 too. Would love to know the names of some apps you mentioned. at the moment his ipod is mostly being used to watch toons on youtube. which we dont mind coz he doesnt use it for long but would be great to upload something more interactive for him. Thanks.
    Some that she likes that are phonics based are:

Word Wagon by Duck Duck Moose - this one has four different levels so is good for a wide range of ages
    Starfall ABCs (although this is a paid app which is exactly the same as the free webpage. If you love the webpage, it's worth it, but if you don't, then not worth it)
    ABC Tracing is good for practice writing
    Pre-K ABC by BrightStart is even better - it's a GREAT app for learning to write and does a bit of phonics as well. This is one of my favs, definitely recommend!
    Phonics Vowels by Abitalk is great for phonics and not too advanced for my daughter - very good for pre-reading or early reading
    Word Match is good for those sight words, but it still a bit hard for my 3 year old
    Short Vowels by Abatalk (not sure if it's the same as "Abitalk"??) - this one my daughter doesn't play with as much, but it's ok

If I only recommended three, it would be Word Wagon, Pre-K ABC and Phonics Vowels

Completely off subject, her absolute favourite (and non educational) app is called "My PlayHome" - it's a fantastic app and great for her age.

And for maths skills, we got a GREAT app the other day called "LoveToCount" by Pirate Trio - they have a few other apps but this is the only one that we've got.

I follow a blog - http://momswithapps.com/ - the ONLY reason why I read it is because they often have "free app friday" where you can get paid apps for free, or sometimes just at a discount. I've found SO many great apps that way - some I did pay for but the majority I didn't. I try to check it every Friday and if something is free, I download it and try it. If I like it, I keep it. If not, I just delete it.
    Gataloca, miran and TheQuasimother like this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast