Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

5 years old...cant read, please help

AngieO is offline Registered User
    Tai Po
    I don't know how long it is since you used reading eggs. We have been using it for about a year, and it does use lower case letters, in fact it uses both upper and lower case. It also sends reports to the parents. They have also very recently updated the site so that as soon as you log on you can see where the child is at. We also have a Mac now, and used to have a PC and it works well on both.

Anyway, it is a personal thing. It is interesting to see what different people like and don't like. People always talk about Word World etc. which my daughter also enjoys (and Super Why) but it teaches them the "adult" version of the letter ( eg A instead of ah). My daughter learned all the phonetics first except for some reason she learned W not in phonics first and now when she is spelling out a word she can't do it if it has a W in it because she will say "double-u" instead of how it sounds so it doesn't make a word. Not sure if this makes sense.

Anyway, I agree with the others that 5 is too early to worry. There is such a lot of pressure here for kids to be doing stuff early. We didn't even learn the alphabet until age 5 when we were kids and we can all read. I really think reading with children from when they are babies and having them love books is a great start. Also making sure that they see you reading on your own. Being interested in books really helps.

Good luck!

miran is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Thanks Nicole... appreciate the details.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I actually think Soundwaves is worth the investment. It was started/created by qualified classroom primary teachers who have had years of experience. While I can't afford them, I've stolen their 'system' and used it to teach my son. Their system is far more logical than Mr. Thorne's phonics. We use him on youtube to supplement what my son brings home from school.

My son is in Year 1 at RCHK and he reads and understands fine for his age. I have heard that some teachers will only make a judgement on reading but not comprehension at some schools. Did you check? As many kids are able to read above their expected age/development but have little comprehension.

When the kids are 5 at ESF, they aren't expected to 'read'. You should see the books they've sent home. Some are really simple. Single line repetitive sentences. Even a 'slow reader' would know. So, perhaps the expectation at CAIS is too high?

I second Motherhubbard too. Great online resource. I like but you need to subscribe to their resources.

There's heaps of resources out there if you do not want to spend any money.
    Don't get caught up with the teacher's perception. Do whatever your child is most comfortable with as far as learning pace is concerned.

Good Luck!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    All children learn to read and all learn at different rates--it's actually very similar to the way children develop in other areas--such as learning to crawl and walk and even talk. A child who cannot read at 5-years-old is actually not "abnormal" even though other classmates may be reading. If you push the issue too much you may develop another problem which is a child who is resistant to learning to read. I suggest that you start with high frequency words--helping your child identify them in the text (such as "the, a, an, I, me, it, was" etc.) as you read to your child and then move on to more phonics. Many children do not possess the focus or maturity to learn to fully read at this age. It's a step-by-step process. If your child is in P2 and still cannot read at all, then I would actually become concerned...before then just take it easy.
    satay sue, Honkyblues and carang like this.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

katiesmum is offline Registered User
    My daughter has been at the Soundwaves centre since she was 3 years old. She is now 4.5 years old. Her kindergarten teacher is very impressed with her reading. She sounds out the word from the Soundwaves teachings. My daughter is already receiving reading books home from Kindergarten and also reading words to practice. (Private kindergarten not local) Kate started reading eggs around 3 months ago and we have found this to be an excellent tool to practise what she has learnt at Soundwaves. I can’t speak highly enough about the Soundwaves course it has given my daughter an excellent foundation for her reading. You could onto you tube and research Soundwaves as there is a Monkok class doing there sounds. We use this to practise her Soundwaves card at home.

marie313 is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    I don't think you need any of those programs, but you do need to invest time. It is really important to teach your child pre-reading skills, such as matching, rhythm and rhyme, the way language works. The larger your child's vocabulary, the easier it will be for her to read, so read books together, talk about the pictures, ask what she thinks will happen next.
    Play games like "I spy' when you are on the bus or at home. Start simple. Use phonetic sounds rather than the letter name to begin with. use a white board and magnetic letters, and write simple 3 letter words like cat, then sound it out together.
    thanka2 and Honkyblues like this.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    If it makes you feel any better, I barely spoke English when I began US kindergarten at age 5, and I presume I didn't learn to read until well after that. I became an avid reader as a child and now work in a field where I use the English language every day.
    And my husband didn't start to learn to read till he was 7! And he turned out just fine, too.
    I know you might feel hopelessly behind in super-competitive Hong Kong. But in the grander view, I'm sure your kid is fine. There are tons of children in the world who don't start studying words till they are 5-7 years old.

Buckeroo is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    We like, too. You could also check the Read Write, Inc. series. They have it available at the local library. The books (and the program) were developed by a UK school teacher (Ruth Miskin) and I really believe that the series have been instrumental in helping our daughter learn to read independently.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast