Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pumping at work

Gracey is offline Registered User

Pumping at work

I'm back on my first day of work. My baby is now 5 months old.
    For those moms who are doing this -- how many times a day do you pump? (I'll be away from my baby for about 9 hours)
    I just realized that I wouldn't be able to do it more than once, since I have no way of washing or sterilizing my pump. And you can't re-use one without cleaning, right?
    What pump do you use? Since I have to do it in a cramped toilet cubicle, I just brought my single manual pump. I figure a double electric one would be too cumbersome.

I heard two contradictory pieces of advice.
    Some people say I should be pumping even more than usual, to keep milk production from falling off.
    But a midwife told me to decrease extra pumping, so I don't get mastitis from having too much milk build up -- since I can only pump every 4-5 hours on weekdays, and pumping isn't as effective as feeding.

So far, I'm not doing either -- just doing what feels natural and convenient to me.

taysty is offline Registered User
    Hi Gracey. I pumped twice at work. And yes, like you I did it in the toilet cubicle. I used the same set of pump twice but I did put it into a clean zip lock bag and into the fridge or ice bag. I really don't have enough time to sterilize the pump in between.
    I always have a shorter lunch then rush to pump inside the toilet. I just want to avoid the pressure or disturbance other ladies not from my office outside the cubicle talking or queuing or touching up their make up etc.

taysty is offline Registered User
    And I used Avent manual pump. I find the electric adaptor not only heavy and very noisy too.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    It's already a disaster. As soon as I opened my bag, the little plastic piece inside the pump fell onto the dirty bathroom floor.
    I'm wondering if I can sterilize it by pouring boiling water on top of it in the office kitchenette.
    Unfortunately, a bunch of guys are standing around the kitchenette talking, and I'm too embarassed to go in there with a piece of my breast pump. (No other moms at work here).
    Sigh.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Ughh... Thankfully I never had to pump at work!

... but Medela sells sterilizing wipes and steam sterilizing baggies that you throw in the microwave for a few seconds. You could also buy an extra set of bottles and breast shields to avoid using the same one's twice.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I expressed milk at work 1x day as my baby was 9 months at that time as she just needed it for 1 afternoon feed.

I used a Medela electric pump and do it in our conference room or a vacant private room. I would wear a cape in case someone just barges in as I couldn't lock the doors.

I'm with Erina too. I don't know what brand you use but if you can get extra valves, shields, bottles. etc it might save you the stress. The Medela pump that I use is a double pump so sometimes, I express on both sides if I know I have a small window of opportunity. It also runs on battery too.

I know it isn't easy but if you can find a more conducive place where you can relax more, that would be better. I find that if I am stressed, I don't yield as much. Good luck!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I don't think rinsing the parts in boiling water will be sufficient for sterilizing, but I pump 2x per day and I rinse and soak the parts in hot boiled water twice so the residue from the milk doesn't hang around. I shake off the excess water and dry off with a paper towel before putting them in a clean ziploc bag for the next pump. I always wash my hands thoroughly before pumping or handling the pump parts. So far, this system has worked for me.

clearwaterbaby is offline Registered User
    I have a Medela Freestyle and the instructions say it only needs to be sterilised once a day and can be washed in warm soapy water (and then rinsed) between occasions of pumping. Feel for you with the difficulties of pumping in the office toilets and cleaning up in the office pantry. It was my understanding that the correct approach, and my plan (not back at work yet), is to pump during the day as often as you would be feeding if you were at home with the baby. So you pump less if your baby is already on some solid foods or formula bottles.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast