Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need hospital help!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    For Discovery Bay, the catchment hospital, I believe, is Queen Mary - but I could be wrong about that. You would have a long travel time to get to Pamela Youde. If your insurance covers it, you can go private at Queen Mary and that definitely solves the visiting hours problem (although not sure if there is a "private ward" for when you are labouring but less than 3cm dilated). It SHOULD solve the children problem as well - but I'm not 100% sure about that. QMH can be a bit of a stickler for rules - more so than the other public hospitals as it is in high demand and busier than the others... (the good thing about that is it has the best medical care - but in my opinion, for the average Joe, it's more of a pain in the butt than a benefit).

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the help Nicole. I think I'm just going to talk to my ob next fri and maybe go and visit QM. Blimey who'd have thought it would be so stressful, I only want somewhere to pop my baby out !ha ha :)

I know - that's HK... my younger daughter has lots of medical needs and we are at Queen Mary (and also PY and Duchess of Kent Children's hospital) aaalllllll the time. There are things I love, things I hate, and things that are so 1970's about the whole hospital system here... but it is what it is.

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    i had a good experience at queen mary - didn't get to hospital until around 8cm dialated (which suited me fine!), so straight into the delivery room. the only time my husband and i were separated was the first 15 mins or so, when they were checking me & he was filling out the admission stuff. they were very thorough about reading my birth plan, and i (from hazy memory...) got pretty much everything i asked for. the only thing i didn't like was being strapped to the monitor so that I wasn't free to move around, but they even unhooked me from that after a while. when they were satisfied that everything was progressing smoothly, they left my hubby & i alone in the delivery room, & even dimmed the lights for us (something that was on my birth plan, but i had completely forgotten about!). on the downside, they prefer the feet up in stirrups method of delivery & although they were willing for me to try different positions, they weren't very encouraging of it & in the end i just went with their way.

someone earlier mentioned that babies only room in in the private rooms, but when i was there babies roomed in on the public ward, too (or i should say cubicled-in!). this was three years ago, so maybe it's changed.

from what i understand, your experience at qmh is very dependent on the staff that happen to be there at the time..& possibly how prepared you are (and how prepared you are to insist on what you want).

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Tasha2303, there are many private hospital options. So even if you didn't get into Adventist or Sanatorium, try Canossa too. There's also St. Paul's. Baptist, St. Theresa, Tsuen Wan Adventist and private wards at public hospitals not yet mentioned also includes Queen Elizabeth.

Otherwise, you can insist that you get discharged as soon as the doctor has given you the 'all clear' sign and hire a private midwife (which always assists with the doctor's decision at a public hospital).

Good Luck!
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User
    Thanks Lalligirl and The Quasimother some really helpful info : )

Tasha - IF you want the baby to room in, then you either a) need to get into Matilda, or b) get a private room at some of those other private hospitals. Some of the private hospitals have VERY strict policies on the baby not being able to room in and refuse to allow the baby to stay with the mother, particularly overnight. From my understanding, if you have a private room, they will allow it, but in a shared room they will not in case your baby wakes someone else. At the public hospitals, they allow the baby to room in 24/7. If rooming in is important to you, be careful to check those policies before booking a hospital so to avoid disappointment.

charade is offline Registered User
    At QM, if you go private, you can book the private room in advance, do private antenatal appointments and have the baby rooming in and hubby stay over. Cost is not an issue with you but it would work out cheaper than a private room in a private hospital but on par with a ward stay in some of the less expensive private hospitals. This is according to a mum who delivered there last year.

My understanding is that at Pamela Youde you can only get a private room if it's available when you go there once labour starts and cannot book private in advance.

At Baptist (private), you can only have the baby bedside if you're in a private room. So yeah, check the policies of the private hospitals.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast