Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need hospital help!

Tasha2303 is offline Registered User

Need hospital help!

Hi
    I am moving to HK on Saturday and have registered with an ob that was going to get me in to Matilda. As I'm due in may this has now become a big problem and looks like I can't.
    Has any mums had experience with queen Mary? I read so much that they don't let husbands in with you and there's only 2 hours visiting a day and also they take your baby away from you. For me that is hell.

Any experience and advice would be great.

A very worried mum

mrs
    mrs is offline Registered User
    my son was born at Queen Mary last year. my husband was allowed in with no problems and baby could room in if you are staying in a private room. if you are in the ward, the babies are on the same floor and you can feed them anytime. in fact, they encourage breastfeeding.

What about visiting hours? The thought of my husband and two other girls only coming 2 hours a day is horrible. If you have a private room is there no limit? Also if you want to leave before 3 days can you? I had my last baby in the uk and was home within 8 hrs : )
    Thanks for your help

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    - Visiting hours are short (2 hrs) but actually, that's what you want because the wards are cramped and the last thing you want is entire Chinese families x 11 on your ward 24/7 when you're trying to rest
    - My friend had a baby there a few weeks ago and the baby stayed in a cot by her bed the whole time (she was just on the ward)
    - The private rooms cant be pre-booked- it's a bit like the NHS ones. You have to just find out if there's one available when you arrive
    - You'll probably have to stay overnight but if you have a vaginal delivery, you can often persuade them to discharge you the next day.

- Have you asked your Obs to look at the Adventist or the Sanatorium as alternatives?

HTH

Nic
    Nic is offline Registered User
    Hi

I had both my children at QMH, vaginal delivery (late evening- 9pm ish) and I was discharged the following morning. The second time around I was insistent of this as the visiting hours were 12-1 and 6-8 and only children 12+ can go onto the ward and babys cannot be taken out of the ward (they wear bracelets that set off an alarm at the door!). My 2 year old couldn't understand why her brother wasn't allowed out and she couldn't see him!

As private rooms are within the ward area I am pretty sure under 12s would still not be allowed to visit.

Other than the visiting hours/policies I dont have too many complaints.....

Hi Lojitt I have my ob appointment on fri 10th and they said they could then try adventist once I'd had that. Fingers crossed.
    Hi Nic I do t think my 11 year old would ever forgive me if she couldn't be there straight away. We also have an 11month old and our eldest came straight in the room after I'd had her.
    It's so hard and very worrying, I wish I'd known the problems getting a space the minute I found out I was pregnant but now 6 months gone I'm running out of options : (

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I would recommend trying to go to Pamela Youde in the Eastern district (Chai Wan), or getting a private room at QMH if your insurance will cover it. If you're in a private room, the visiting hours are relaxed AND older children are allowed in. If you are in the ward (in any public hospital), there are only 3 hrs of visiting per day, and children are pretty strictly not allowed in. The reason why I suggest Pamela Youde is that they have a "special accommodation ward" which is a 4 bed room which has 12 hrs of visiting a day and allows children - but it only costs ~$7000 (as opposed to ~$100,000 for fully private).

I've had two babies at QMH and it has its pros and cons - but I would definitely choose Pamela Youde over QM if possible. Technically, you should go to the hospital that is your district hospital. QM is the half of Hong Kong island west of Causeway Bay, and PY is from around Tin Hau and east.

With my 2nd daughter, she was in NICU and I knew I'd be leaving home without her, so they allowed me early discharge around 15 hours after she was born. But that was for just me, not the baby. I've heard of some people getting early discharge after the first day, but I've also had friends who they rejected it for various reasons. I wouldn't count on getting early discharge, but you could always ask.

When you are in labour, hubby can only be with you in the delivery room. You only go to delivery after you are 3cm dilated, so if you are progressing slowly, you may be admitted to the hospital but not to delivery - in which case, you could either a) leave the ward and walk around the hospital grounds, or b) stay in the ward, and your hubby is only allowed in for those specific 3 hours. If you labour at home and get to the hospital after you are 3cm dilated, you will be with your husband for the rest of the labour/delivery. EXCEPT if it's an emergency C-section.

Our insurance will cover so that not a prob. We will be living in discovery bay so would that be the best hospital?. Thanks for the info Nicole really helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast