Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby suddenly on bed strike

Gracey is offline Registered User

Baby suddenly on bed strike

Our baby was such a good sleeper until last week.
    She slept through the night at 3 months, and more of less kept to that until she was 5 months. Maybe once a week she'd wake up for a night feeding and fall back asleep. The rest of the time, she slept for 7-9 hours straight, and in her own bed, a bassinet in our room.

Suddenly, last week -- just a few days before I went back to work -- she refused to sleep unless I was holding her. She screamed and screamed and screamed. At first, I thought it was something else, like teething or gas. But I've ruled those out -- as she stops crying the SECOND I pick her up. Plus, she's shown no signs of pain or discomfort during the day.

Usually, she gets a last feeding at around 10pm, and gets really sleepy in my lap. I then carry and rock her a bit, but it only takes a few minutes. Then I put her in bed -- sometimes she's already asleep, sometimes she's almost asleep and I "hush and pat" her.

Why this worked for two months -- and then suddenly stopped working -- I don't know.

For two nights, I did hush / pat, and then "pick up put down" to no avail. The second she hit the bed, she screamed and screamed and got herself so worked up that nothing would calm her except getting picked up again.

The worst thing is that , around 3 am, I give up. After all, my husband and I both have to get to work the next morning, and we have no amah at night. So I bring her into bed with me, and she sleeps beautifully.

The only problem is that I don't want to make a habit of co-sleeping, or getting her dependent on only sleeping when she's rocked in my arms.

What do I do?

I thought about hiring a night nanny to help us do sleep training, but I think they have to be booked far in advance.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Our baby did something similar at 6-7 months - she went from being a good sleeper to refusing to be put down by herself. She also became very clingy in the daytime and went from being quite social to not wanting to be held by anyone apart from my and my wife. I read babies being to realise they are a separate entity to their mothers around this time, and some develop a natural fear of being apart.

We spend 2-3 weeks with the night time waking and refusal to be put down past 3-4am which ended up with her in our bed, exactly the same as you.

In the end we used sleep training and it was effective very quickly - within 3 nights - now she is sleeping through the night happily again and can self-settle. She still isn't as social in the daytime as she used to be, but if she can see one of us she is still mostly content. I think they just need to grow out of this phase.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    Exactly the same thing happened with my first and the only solution was to put her in bed (if we wanted to get some sleep and not be constantly up and down or walking around with her). At the time we were quite concerned, the same as you about developing bad habits etc. But if she was in with us she slept like a log so we just kept doing it and after a few months she grew out of that and was happy to sleep in her own bed again.

So if you are not comfortable doing sleep training (as I wasn't) don't worry - you won't necessarily have to. As mentioned above, that time is the prime time for separation anxiety and especially since you have just gone back to work I would just go with the flow and all get some rest. It's not necessarily going to mean your baby is in bed with you for the next 10 years....

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the tips.
    It's true that baby's going through lots of transitions. More bottles, less breast. More formula. Started solids less than a month ago. Mom away from home for the first time, often till well past her bedtime. (I got home at 9:30 pm last night, and will not be back till past 11 pm tonight).
    So far, the easiest thing is to bring her to bed for now. Maybe I will do sleep training later, when the work schedule normalizes a bit and I am less exhausted. Maybe I will just wait for her to grow out of it.
    Right now, I'm just doing all I can to get the family through the night!