Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Previous yeast infection in nipples after C-section, scared of going through it again

Gemma is offline Registered User

Previous yeast infection in nipples after C-section, scared of going through it again

Ladies

Just wanting to pose a question to those who have had a C-section. When I gave birth to my first 19 months ago, I think I was given a few days of antibiotics intravenously after my C-section, as is routinely done I believe. I ended up having horrible yeast infection in my nipples and that really ruined my breastfeeding experience, so much so that I had to switch to pump feed after 6 weeks as it was hurting so much and LO wasn't having much fun either. It was a heart-breaking decision and I was really upset over it.

I am about to have another CS for my second one, and I was wondering

i) how long antibiotics are given for nowadays. I don't want to request NOT having them for fear of having an infection afterwards, but I really want to minimise the risk of having yeast again and have problems with BFing.

ii) if anyone has any previous experience with it, and what tips they have to prevent it the second time round!!

Thanks!!!

BlossomDB is offline Registered User
    Hi Gemma, I sent you a PM..

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I don't remember if I was given antibiotics after the C section, but I did take antibiotics sometime around the end of my pregnancy cause I was positive on the group B streptococcus screening test. Later, I did have a case of yeast infection and had to apply anti fungal cream after the feeding.

About prevention, it seems that taking probiotics might help: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ng-thrush.html

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I had an awful case of thrush that I just finished dealing with, so I feel your pain literally! I was just about to say get some probiotics. You can eat gobs and gobs of unsweetened yogurt, or take pills/powder, available at health food shops like 360. Genetian Violet in liquid form spread on the nipples will also do the trick, if you can get it. A friend lent me some of hers, so I know you can get it in HK, but I'm not sure where. I took both, and in addition took some Fluconzole, available at any drug shop here.

Gemma is offline Registered User
    Thanks girls. Had no idea it's so common. Really appreciated the tips, will go and get some probiotics today!!

evgreen is offline Registered User
    My baby has a case of thrush right know and the doc gave her nystatin and we've been using it for over 2 weeks and it's still there!! I've been taking probiotics since I'm breastfeeding. Has anyone tried the gentian violet for the baby's mouth too??