Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Helper while away

Trying is offline Registered User

Helper while away

Just wondering whether anyone's got any thoughts on the following situation:

We have a full-time live-in helper. Later this year I plan on going home for a couple of months with the children. Hubby will be with us for part of the time and in HK for the other weeks.

What do you do with your helpers while you are away? My hubby isn't too fussed about having the helper around when he's here as he'll be working and can do his own laundry etc so I was thinking about giving her a holiday. I have to admit that I'm rather nervous of leaving her alone in the flat for an extended period of time. Google also threw up a Singaporean website where people seemed to be advising to never leave a helper in the house alone with the husband as they may be false accusations of harassment made - which had never even crossed my mind as a possibility but now has totally freaked me out...

doanni2 is offline Registered User
    You can give her those two months of holidays, and offer (ask) her to go back to her place of origin. Of course, if this was not in her plans, you would need to pay for her ticket, as it is an expense she was not going to have, and very likely her two months of salary even if she is not actually working, as she did not ask for all that period of time.
    Or provide accommodation in HK for her and have her come to your place a few hours every day or whatever you decide, but I am not sure that is legal.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    How can you have someone live in your house if you don't trust them? I have had friends leave their helpers behind and have never heard of anyone being accused of that.
    Singapore forums are a nightmare for helper advice, people there generally treat their helpers like lesser beings.
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    of course you would have to pay her, even if she is in her home country. it is not her fault you are going away!

you have a few choices:
    1) give her a completely paid holiday in her home country
    2) give her a list of "spring cleaning" type chores for her to do when she is staying in your home. she can still keep up with hubby's laundry etc.
    3) give her a shorter holiday in her home country: ie) have her stay here after you've left for a few days to tidy up and sort stuff out, then she can go home but she returns a few days before you return in order to open up the house, clean up (get rid of the mold that is bound to grow) etc.

the problem with her staying out while you are away is that if her boarding house is raided, it may be difficult for her to prove that she is not living there....

gpjapan is offline Registered User
    My friend's helper was idle during the time my friend was away on a long holiday and ended up borrowing money from banks/lending firms. My friend had to face many problems on her return and eventually terminate her.

carang is offline Registered User
    sorry, gpjapan... people don't borrow money because they are "idle"....
    satay sue likes this.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I've left my helper in our house while we've been away before, although my husband was also with me. Once, we went back for six weeks, another time it was just for nearly three. Both times, I asked her if she wanted to go back to the Philippines, when we went back for six weeks, she spent one week in the Philippines (she didn't want to go for longer than that). The other time we went back, she said she'd prefer to stay in HK. I trust her in our house, so to me, I don't mind if she's here or in the Philippines - it's up to her. At Christmas time when we went back, I asked her whether she would prefer cash or for us to pay for her to go back and she preferred cash and not going back. When we went away for six weeks, I did give her a list of some chores to do (wash the curtains, clean under the beds etc) but I think she would do many of those things even without me specifically asking. I don't think it's legal to get her to stay in a boarding house - you could ask her to go back to the Philippines, but would have to pay her costs and wages for that time as well. Also, if you don't pay her a food allowance, when you are away you do need to still provide her food costs as well.
    satay sue likes this.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by gpjapan View Post
    My friend's helper was idle during the time my friend was away on a long holiday and ended up borrowing money from banks/lending firms. My friend had to face many problems on her return and eventually terminate her.
    This would have happened even if your friend hadn't gone away - or did she go away and not pay her helper?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top