Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Is it true? I should avoid cold drinks during pregnancy?

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    -- aside from obvious no-nos like drugs, booze and too much caffeine -- just eat and drink what you want.
    BTW, I'm Chinese myself.
    Except for the other No No's like lunch meat (listeria), unpasturized cheeses and raw meats including seafood.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by erina320 View Post
    Except for the other No No's like lunch meat (listeria), unpasturized cheeses and raw meats including seafood.
    Plenty of ladies eat raw seafood (Japanese), unpasteurized cheeses (French) throughout their pregnancies.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

Some how I think it has more to do with what your body is used to, and so the problems are not as great. Don't know...I am sure there are certain types of raw fish they stick with and certain types they avoid...anyhow, my friend did eat everything and her son came out with a certain deficiency which made him have very little and skimpy hair...don't know if had anything to do with that or genes...but it'd be torture just thinking of the what ifs...better safe than sorry in my opinion...

AmyH is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliefu View Post
    which made him have very little and skimpy hair...don't know if had anything to do with that or genes...but it'd be torture just thinking of the what ifs...better safe than sorry in my opinion...
    Both of my children were born practically bald (boy and girl). They both now have very full heads of hair and are fine. I can't see how having very little, no hair at birth could ever possibly be seen as a side effect of any kind, or that there is something wrong with that.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Most things that are "wrong" with babies at birth are due to genetics and would be the case regardless of what the mother did during pregnancy. It's set in stone at conception, before the mother even knows she's pregnant. There is nothing that a mother can do to control that. There are some things like fetal alcohol syndrome that are caused by the mother drinking excessively while pregnant - but apart from that, the mother's actions and choices have a small influence on the outcome of the pregnancy. Babies are VERY safe in there and it generally takes HUGE events to impact them at all.

I was advised by my first obgyn in my first pregnancy that sushi etc was very safe while pregnant. He put it this way: "The risk of getting food poisoning from such foods is the same regardless of whether you are pregnant or not. The only difference is that if you do get food poisoning, it MAY affect the baby. How often have you ever had food poisoning from such foods? (never) - so why would you expect it when you are pregnant?" - He did advise to eat sushi from reputable restaurants and not from the deli section of Park n Shop though ;)

When my 2nd daughter was born with dwarfism, I never for a moment thought that it was something that I had done - I know how genetics works and I could have done everything right and it'd still be in her genes. My mother-in-law on the other hand (Chinese) wanted something to "blame" at first and asked what I did wrong, if it was the flu shot I'd received after she told me not to get the flu shot, if it was something else I did... such attitudes are completely ignorant and have no positive outcome.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    ....My mother-in-law on the other hand (Chinese) wanted something to "blame" at first and asked what I did wrong, if it was the flu shot I'd received after she told me not to get the flu shot, if it was something else I did... such attitudes are completely ignorant and have no positive outcome.
    I enjoy poking fun and taking the piss out of ignorant people. If I was that situation I would have told the MIL that I slept with a suitcase of scissors and knives under the bed. Now that the birth is over, would she like a few to take home with her?

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by 2010-NewDad View Post
    Plenty of ladies eat raw seafood (Japanese), unpasteurized cheeses (French) throughout their pregnancies.
    Not old wives tales in this case I'm afraid...

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pre...dstoavoid.html

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09372.html

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pre...rition/PR00109
    sharrie_t likes this.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    I didn't say they were old wives tales - I simply pointed out that the advice varies by culture/country.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast