Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Home test says postive; not sure what to do next

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    I dont agree with waiting..if you want to go private you may not have the option to do so if you wait till 8 weeks to confirm the pregnancy with your GP. I confirmed pregnancy at 5 weeks 6 days with my OB and was too late for a spot at Matilda. Unfortunately Hong Kong is not the place to muck around.

NicoleKwong is offline Registered User
    Missprincepessa- are you serious? 5 weeks +6 days and you don't get a spot? How early do you need to find a hpspital?

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Please dont judge the health of the Hong Kong maternity marketplace by the status at Matilda.
    Due to its reputation, prices as well as address, Matilda has become (for lack of a better word) a status symbol where the top payers all want to be.

There are plenty of other alternatives. Relax, see your doctor and make some good and informed choices; dont get caught up in the hype.

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    We were turned down at a number of hospitals at nine weeks to deliver in the Year of the Rabbit. From what I have read, the situation is unlikely to be better in the Year of the Dragon.

anoninhk is offline Registered User
    Thanks for the great advice, all! I am quite flexible, and can go either private or public. I had to go into the ER at a public hospital once, and all the docs and nurses there were fab, so I have complete faith in them. If I get the go ahead from my doctor, I might even go back to the UK for delivery, since I was planning to pop back home in the summer anyway (for a wedding, not the Olympic games! :)).

marie313 is offline Registered User
    i went public all the way with both my pregnancies, and it was fine. I spent $350 total for each baby - all anti natal check ups and birth included. You wont get the posh room or much of a say in the delivery (although I hear private hospitals often push for a c-section, where-as government ones will only do it if it is necessary), but as long as the baby is born healthy i don't think that really matters.

LOJITT is offline Registered User
    I don't think it's right to say that the private hospitals push for c-sections, but I think it is fair to say that certain Obstetricians do if there's even the slightest complication. However, some (Lucy Lord and Grace Cheung for example) are actively pro-normal deliveries and have pretty high "normal delivery" stats- around 75% I think.

Also, your ability to get into certain private hospitals will depend on which Obs you choose. Some people seem to be getting turned away with certain Obs whilst others get in with other doctors 3/4 wks later.

As HC said, there is more than one private hospital in HK.

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by howardcoombs View Post
    Please dont judge the health of the Hong Kong maternity marketplace by the status at Matilda.
    Due to its reputation, prices as well as address, Matilda has become (for lack of a better word) a status symbol where the top payers all want to be.

There are plenty of other alternatives. Relax, see your doctor and make some good and informed choices; dont get caught up in the hype.
    Matlida is fantastic...unbelievably so and well worth its reputation. But that is sadly beside the point. Do believe the hype..all hospitals, private/public, are very difficult to get into. Even with public you may face having to deliver off the maternity ward due to the pressure on the system. I would not be 'relaxed' about my maternity care and delivery options in Hong Kong..!!!! No way!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast