Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Home test says postive; not sure what to do next

anoninhk is offline Registered User

Home test says postive; not sure what to do next

I feel so stupid for even asking this, but I took a home pregnancy test (well, seven, actually) 2 days ago, which gave me a positive result; what do I do next?

The reason I'm not asking any friends or colleagues (some of whom are mothers) is because I am very, very superstitious, and I don't want to jinx anything by telling anyone outside my immediate family that I might be pregnant.

I called my mum (in the UK) asking for advice and she told me to just go about my usual routine for a couple of weeks before doing anything. But I am so anxious to get a confirmation by a professional!

Do I visit a regular GP or should I go see a gyno right away? Or should I just listen to my mum?

Sorry for being such an idiot!

(PS. I'm in HK)

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I went to a GP first to have my pregnancy confirmed, then I booked an appointment with a gyno. The GP will give you a letter to confirm the pregnancy and you can use this when booking hospitals etc.

Congratulations!

Also, in the UK it is quite different because you would usually go to GP who would refer you to nearest child birthing hospital for antenatal care etc, but if you plan on booking in to a private hospital here, then I would go to a gyno as soon as possible as a lot of the beds are booking up very quickly or so it seems. If you plan on going public system then there is really no rush!

anoninhk is offline Registered User
    Many thanks, Amy! Most, if not all, of my colleagues went private so I guess that means it's the best route to go?
    I'm off to see my GP! Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by anoninhk View Post
    Most, if not all, of my colleagues went private so I guess that means it's the best route to go?
    Going private is really nice, kind of like flying Business Class.

Private is only the "best" if you have insurance paid for
    or
    You dont do a cost/benefit analysis.

Once you bring cost into the equation, many people will question the sanity of paying around 30,000 HKD per day to have a baby when you can do it for almost nothing at the Govt hospitals.

We went with private for our 3 kids.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    The best time to see a gyn is around 6-8 weeks - I think around 8 weeks, you can see the heart beat. if you are only 4 weeks, all you can do really is get blood work done to confirm. If you do want to go private (esp if you have insurance), best to get to a gyn ASAP so you can book a bed in a private hospital.

IF you want to go public, you can either go to your nearest MCHC and take a pregnancy test there, or go to your GP to get a letter confirming pregnancy, and then register with your nearest public hospital. The first appointment there is usually later - more like 10-13 weeks. You'll go once a month until about 7 months along, then every 2 weeks until 36 weeks or so, then every week after that. You won't get so many ultrasounds though, so many people get extra prenatal appointments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by anoninhk View Post
    Many thanks, Amy! Most, if not all, of my colleagues went private so I guess that means it's the best route to go?
    I'm off to see my GP! Fingers crossed!

Thanks again!
    You can actually do a mixture of both private and public here as Nicolejoy said so I went private for all of my antenatal checks and then delivered in a public hospital. My insurance didn't cover private hospital fees and I couldn't justify the costs for three days in hospital! Also, for any major complications they will send you to a public hospital to deliver anyway as the private hospitals do not have NICU facilities.

miran is offline Registered User
    I woudl go to a gynae and get a private hospital booked. you can then do your research on which way you want to go - private or public and then pay deposit when the hospital confirms. this is the year of dragon and hospital beds are getting booked out very very fast. All the best !
    lesliefu likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast