Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Dinner near Shatin

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Dinner near Shatin

It's my anniversary next week and hubby and I are going to have our first no-kids overnight stay. We're going to a hotel out near Shatin racecourse, where we have never been so it will be less like "home" but have no idea where to go for dinner - are there any nice anniversary kind of restaurants out that side? or if not, is it better to head into TST, or any other ideas? I really don't know that area at all...

Thanks in advance :)

Gemma is offline Registered User
    There is a lovely Chinese restaurant at the Hyatt near university station, with arguably the best Peking duck in town. Always fully booked though but do try your luck. It's called Shatin 18. They also have a nice bar there for drinks.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    Nic, since you are already out there, why don't you try 'One-ThirtyOne'. You will need a cab to get you there and back though and reservations ahead.
    It's got a nice romantic feel and not too overpriced. Definitely 'Far from the Madding' crowd. Remote, lovely and if you get a nice sunset day, surely romantic.

Otherwise, if you don't need it to be 5 stars or fancy, stroll at Tai Mei Tuk at sunset (or late afternoon) and a meal at the Thai or Italian restaurant there is equally lovely. There is definitely a holiday feel to it. There's heaps to explore for a couple. The stroll across the dam is absolutely a must do on a weekday (if you are there on a weekday). Requires a cab from Tai Po Market station or bus.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

carang is offline Registered User
    there is a steak place called TOM BAR & GRILL in a village setting. it is on sai sha road (before you get to one-thirtyone) but you would probably need to get a taxi from the hotel to the restaurant.

(want to note, we have never been to the restaurant ourselves. we have stopped in the past, but it is out of our price range, as are most western restaurants).

also in sai kung town, there is anthony's catch seafood restaurant. it's a western-style seafood place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    The stroll across the dam is absolutely a must do on a weekday (if you are there on a weekday).
    What about a weekend? There's lots of places we haven't been up that side so I'm anxious to explore a little... btw, Carang, I know you live near the Sai Kung country park. What is there to do up there, and where is the best place to go for an afternoon? I looked on a map and it's HUGE!!

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    if you're up for going into sai kung town, Loaf On in the old town is delicious. it's chinese seafood, if you're into/you feel like that kind of food & can be quite reasonably priced, depending on what you order. it has one michelin star, & i thought it was worth the hype! if you drink wine, they allow you to byo for a corkage fee...$5o from memory. i'd guess you'd need to book on a weekend.

carang is offline Registered User
    nicole, it all depends on what you want to do... there's lots of hiking, you can bbq near the pier, or take the ferry to tap mun island, then hike (my two kids have done it when they were 3ish years old) over the mountain to see "balanced rock" and then ferry back to the pier in the country park

Quote Originally Posted by TheQuasimother View Post
    Nic, since you are already out there, why don't you try 'One-ThirtyOne'. You will need a cab to get you there and back though and reservations ahead.
    Bummer - I'd never heard of them before, but they look awesome. Just called them and they are all full for both lunch and dinner when we'll be up that side :( :( Will definitely have to keep it in mind for next time, and book more in advance!!