Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Helper Agency

bloominginHK is offline Registered User

Helper Agency

I need some 'away from the topic' advice. Our helper is leaving this Saturday. Our new one was to start tomorrow and because she had a broken contract, we had to use an agency to hire her. We turned in all of our papers on Dec 28th to find out the visa length is now 8-10wks. OKay, our fault but we asked for it to be rushed. We took our current helper with us to make sure we communicated everything and understood everything.

Early last week the issues began... it was one thing after another wrong with the application, her medical, etc. Now I realize that mistakes happen, medical clearances need to take place, etc... but we received NO notice of anything until last week, when she's to be here tomorrow. Our helper also received no notice of any problems and she is now stuck in Manila.

We are furious as now we have to find babysitting so I can work and our helper is stuck in Manilla with no family for who knows how long and she cannot afford to go back to her family, nor wait this out.

Am I out of my mind in not understanding WHY the agency did not communicate anything with us until last week? We've tried communicating this with them... saying we understand there are complications, mistakes but why didn't they notice this when we turned it in on the 28th asking for it to be rushed.

Now they are hanging up on us saying I'm threatening them (of which all I said was that I would not recommend this agency to anyone else and that if someone brought the name to me, I would tell them to use someone else.)

If I'm wrong in my frustration, I will happily call back and apologize for questioning them but I can't think with a clear mind about this right now... I'm so angry in the lack of communication and trying to figure out what I will due for possibly the next 8 weeks.

Please does anyone have advice?

Okay... I realize that what's done is done and I can't make her get here any faster. I guess I'm just asking if this normal, should I give up questioning them ... is there anything I can do? We didn't have to deal with an agency last time so this is all new to us. We just feel like they are taking our money for whatever they can get.

bagel is offline Registered User
    When we had to wait for 6-7 weeks for our helper's visa to be processed, we hired someone live-out to look after my son. It is illegal to do this, but it helped us to ride it out. If you go through the geo-expat listings you can find some ads for helpers who are looking for live out opportunities.

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    I feel your frustration. If it's any consolation, your situation does not seem uncommon. A very good friend of mine experienced the exact same thing last month & the agency caused a lot of aggravation due to lack of communication. She said she was fine with the delays as long as they were relayed to her. She ended up talking directly to the helper to get some updates.

I suggest from hereon, put every request/follow up in writing so it's documented & they can't say "you didn't tell us" or "we didn't think it was an issue with you"

On your part, prepare for any further delays, including when the helper arrives HKG. She might have to do a bit more paperwork on the ground so best to keep that into account. I know it's not easy especially if you've made plans already. Good luck!
    satay sue likes this.

satay sue is offline Registered User
    Yes, our process through an agency took ELEVEN weeks. We were furious when we found that they had sat on her papers for over a week before taking them to the Philippine Consulate and then again for a while before going to immigration.
    Sorry, I know this doesn't help you but like Newbie_hk I wanted you to know that this doesn't seem unusual.
    Also wishing you good luck!

Thank you for the replies... I suspected this wasn't unusual but I'm furious that they can get away with this. I assume most helpers cannot afford to go long without an income... and I feel they treat it as no big deal.

I know I probably shouldn't be surprised but I'm really quite blown away by this...

Having said that it is quite uncommon for the processing to take place, I'm also a believer that just because things are done a certain way doesn't mean it's correct. It is appalling that your agency gives awful service & certainly not worth all the money you are paying them.

Perhaps ask them why there delays & why they failed to communicate this to you effectively. Give them a chance to explain themselves (maybe after your helper arrives) and if they don't reply or you are not satisfied with their answer, then name & shame them here on Geobaby. Make sure no one books them again & goes through the same shabby service.

edit: I meant to say "having said that it is not uncommon for the processing to take that long..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast