Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

summar holidays. shall we take the kid out of school for 5 weeks

Ai li is offline Registered User

NO, I wouldnt too. At least not for reason avoiding the hot weather. I remember when I was in primary school, sicked & absent for 2 days. I had difficulty catching up Mathematics in school. (cant remember about the other subjects. Till today, I still remember how frustrated and lost I was, for not being able to understand what was the teacher was teaching in the class when I returned to school. As if the teacher was teaching in Alien language. Luckily I had Maths tutor to assist me for the ''loss of 2 days''. I was very determined to catch up for what I have missed. I actually felt ''what a release'' after i was manage to be on par with the rest again. ( Maths was my favourite subject, and I did VERY WELL in it. So, i think catching up it the lost, would be easier for me than the rest of classmates)

If I hadnt had this exprience myself, i would think absence of 2 or even 5 days is peanut!

yvonnemommy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by rs2000 View Post
    Hi All,

My kid is in Y1 at CAIS.
    we plan to go back home during dummar holidays for a long holiday. The problem is that it will get very hot there in June and also due to my husband's holidays, it will much much better for us to leave mid May.

Now the summar holidays start around 18 Jun and this means that according to th plan my kid will miss school for 5 weeks. Now i haveent asked her teacher and i just want to make my mind before I even mention this to the school

Has anybody here done it before? I will obviously take the books with me and plan to teach her daily for a souple of hours (we did this when we went there last year too )

do you think I shall do it , i know its a very personal decision. i think the school would agree if I tell them the reasons etc. but I just want to convince myself fully first
    I support you. After 5 weeks break from learning, it is hard for kids to pickup knowledge when the new semester comes.
    We are taking a break. But during summer vocation, I regester DD on beestar for summer programs inculding math, vocabulary and ELA. Each test is short, and does not take much time for DD to complete. Proper arrangement of learning and rest should be great for kids.
    Lisa

thanka2 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't do it if it's just "for the hot weather" but if you think that you can keep your child up-to-date with what's going on in the classroom, then yeah, sure, why not? She only gets one childhood and there really are things that are more important than sitting in a classroom. Be a bit rebellious. Live a little. I think you are being responsible in collecting her assignments and doing her schoolwork with her but the world can be a wonderful classroom--sometimes even better than the four walls she's sitting inside every day. In my home place we have holiday in primary and secondary school from mid-May to late August so that's 8-10 weeks of summer holiday. I personally don't think 5 weeks of summer holiday is extreme in the least. If your daughter is doing well in school and not struggling, shouldn't be an issue in P1.

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User

thanka, my boy has been home from school for the past month. the homework he is getting in P1 is huge. we've been picking it up and he's been doing it at home, but i am still concerned that he'll miss too much of the classroom time. P1 is not the same as K3. at least, not in a local school.

yvonnemommy is offline Registered User

Poor P1 boy...

Last edited by yvonnemommy; 10-14-2012 at 05:57 PM.

carang is offline Registered User

to update: even though my boy missed a lot last year, he was 11/48 in the over all P1, and #5 in his class.

satay sue likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12