Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

summar holidays. shall we take the kid out of school for 5 weeks

rs2000 is offline Registered User

summar holidays. shall we take the kid out of school for 5 weeks

Hi All,

My kid is in Y1 at CAIS.
    we plan to go back home during dummar holidays for a long holiday. The problem is that it will get very hot there in June and also due to my husband's holidays, it will much much better for us to leave mid May.

Now the summar holidays start around 18 Jun and this means that according to th plan my kid will miss school for 5 weeks. Now i haveent asked her teacher and i just want to make my mind before I even mention this to the school

Has anybody here done it before? I will obviously take the books with me and plan to teach her daily for a souple of hours (we did this when we went there last year too )

do you think I shall do it , i know its a very personal decision. i think the school would agree if I tell them the reasons etc. but I just want to convince myself fully first

carang is offline Registered User
    no, i wouldn't take my kid out of school for the last 5 weeks of the school year. just go in june. if you are going to be there for a long time anyway, then you'd still have the hot weather to cope with.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    seems like a long time in my opinion, for a Y1 at least....PN, PK, it'd be better, in my opinion...i'd just leave in june maybe miss the last week only? my nephew will be missing 4 weeks but he's in PN...not great, but it just seems better with the littler ones..it's hard to really focus on studying when you're not in the right environment, I believe....

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User
    My daughter missed school for 4 weeks recently because of our trip back home. But she is still inK1, so we let her skip. I don't think we will do anything similar from next year onwards. Moreover, if you are from north India, I would say no weather is perfect there, it's either too cold or too hot, nothing as pleasant nowadays.

carang is offline Registered User
    it's completely different when the kids are in primary school.... kindergarten is not such a big deal to miss to miss a month. totally different when they hit primary school.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think you have to make up your own mind about it. I think that in P1 obviously it is a bigger deal than in preschool - but it is certainly less of an issue than later primary or secondary.

I recently was talking to the principal of Quarry Bay ESF school about prolonged absences as my daughter (who has not yet started school) may in her primary years need a number of surgeries which have recovery times of a few months - so I want her to be in a school that can accommodate such extended absences by providing extra work, or offering some kind way that she could interact with her class via the internet or something like that. She told me that it was not uncommon for students there to miss a month here and there, but usually it is because they are visiting family overseas (similar situation to yours). I know that the principal at QBS was very open to providing extra work to ensure that the student would not fall behind and her responses reassured me greatly. Extended absences do happen, the younger that they are, the less implications such an absence will have. It's your decision to make - but you aren't alone in it.

If it were up to me, I would try to overlap the trip as much as possible with school holidays - but I wouldn't stress about it if it was unavoidable... it will be ok :)
    thanka2 likes this.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't, I got children in Y1 and Y3 and no matter how accomodating the school (QBS is fairly accomodating), I just don't think it's fair for the child. They'll miss quite a bit in 5 weeks, that's basically an entire unit and it will be hard to make up for it. Emergencies (deaths in families are fairly common, unfortunately), surgeries, obviously no choice but holiday itself wouldn't be a valid enough reason to take them out 5 weeks early. But that's just me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

southside852 is offline Registered User
    yes, 5 weeks seems a bit extreme....likes those mentioned above i would wait or personally, i would just pull them out the last week of school if they are in the primary years. as they get older, it's definitely harder......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast