Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Urgent Advice needed: CDNIS vs. GSIS

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    I think there are some construction issues at GSIS in the next decade that might affect a child starting school now. I'm not sure but I though some of the primary students would be in a temporary campus for a few years while redevelopment was underway at the Peak.

You're not going to get a 'bad' education at either of these schools. I think what you should ask yourself is where are you going to be in ten years, and where is your child going to study in maybe 20? If North America, than you might consider CDNIS, if Europe, GSIS might be more in line. You'll want to try and minimize disruptions in education systems moving forward.

You should also ask your pre-school "what kind of learner" is my child? Do they do well on their own, or do they need a group. Will they perform well in a new surrounding, or is it better that they be with some friends from the pre-school. See if they have thoughts on which school might be better-suited for the learning style of your child.

HappyV is offline Registered User
    I would dispute the assumption that any school which is not Ivy League or Oxbridge is a "Tier II or III school". Many fine universities exist outside these narrow boundaries - for example, Michigan U or UCLA in the USA or the London School of Economics or University College London. It should depend more on what you want to study - one example being Fine Arts. IvyLeague/Oxbridge wouldn't be in the top ten for the worldwide leaders in this field.

As the IB curriculum has been introduced, CDNIS has become much more academically selective, and each parent has a view on where they stand with that.

I would always go for the IB over A levels, not the least of which because I would guess that by the time a Reception student gets to that age, the A levels will have (should have) been changed dramatically. There is a growing consensus, both within the UK and outside of it, that the field of engagement is too narrow when you are only asked to study 3 subjects. I like the idea of the "English Baccalaureate" which is really IB-lite, but still much more broad than the A-levels, without losing any depth.

Walk through each school again - try to get a feel for the community there.

In my experience, GSIS does not have anywhere near the community feel that CDNIS has. Certainly, the facilities at CDNIS exceed those of GSIS, but I know that GSIS has an (ongoing?) building project. I assume that someone looking to enrol their child will have looked into this thoroughly.

And CDNIS is not 'local' - although a fair proportion of students has grown up in HK, only a very small percentage have transferred from the local school system. A large number of nationalities are represented, which you may not know about if you go only on visuals.

I would agree that CDNIS is more Canadian/North American in style, and GSIS is more European. But there have always been a good number of North Americans at GSIS and more and more European/UK students at CDNIS.

As to how CDNIS compares with CIS, a few points to make:
    Although CDNIS will remove students who do not been certain academic standards, CIS is a much more ruthless academic environment. Again, each parent will have a position on that.
    CDNIS has only been offering the IB Diploma for two years, whereas CIS have been running it for 20.
    I do not agree that the CDNIS IB results were mediocre: in every subject they were (well) above world standards: although CIS gets better results, that does not make CDNIS 'mediocre'.

But I am not sure that the CDNIS/CIS debate is relevant here, as the OP is only considering GSIS and CDNIS.

If the original poster wants more info on GSIS or CDNIS, they can PM me.
    Sun Queen likes this.

happyhk66 is offline Registered User
    Anyone has already received an acceptance letter from CDNIS for Reception class?? Thank you very much.

mustardseeds is offline Registered User
    My kid got an offer from CDNIS. How about you, happyhk66? Is you kid going to CDNIS? Do you know anything about the school.......would ilke to know more info about the school.

Sun Queen is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyV View Post
    I would dispute the assumption that any school which is not Ivy League or Oxbridge is a "Tier II or III school". Many fine universities exist outside these narrow boundaries - for example, Michigan U or UCLA in the USA or the London School of Economics or University College London. It should depend more on what you want to study - one example being Fine Arts. IvyLeague/Oxbridge wouldn't be in the top ten for the worldwide leaders in this field.

As the IB curriculum has been introduced, CDNIS has become much more academically selective, and each parent has a view on where they stand with that.

I would always go for the IB over A levels, not the least of which because I would guess that by the time a Reception student gets to that age, the A levels will have (should have) been changed dramatically. There is a growing consensus, both within the UK and outside of it, that the field of engagement is too narrow when you are only asked to study 3 subjects. I like the idea of the "English Baccalaureate" which is really IB-lite, but still much more broad than the A-levels, without losing any depth.

Walk through each school again - try to get a feel for the community there.

In my experience, GSIS does not have anywhere near the community feel that CDNIS has. Certainly, the facilities at CDNIS exceed those of GSIS, but I know that GSIS has an (ongoing?) building project. I assume that someone looking to enrol their child will have looked into this thoroughly.

And CDNIS is not 'local' - although a fair proportion of students has grown up in HK, only a very small percentage have transferred from the local school system. A large number of nationalities are represented, which you may not know about if you go only on visuals.

I would agree that CDNIS is more Canadian/North American in style, and GSIS is more European. But there have always been a good number of North Americans at GSIS and more and more European/UK students at CDNIS.

As to how CDNIS compares with CIS, a few points to make:
    Although CDNIS will remove students who do not been certain academic standards, CIS is a much more ruthless academic environment. Again, each parent will have a position on that.
    CDNIS has only been offering the IB Diploma for two years, whereas CIS have been running it for 20.
    I do not agree that the CDNIS IB results were mediocre: in every subject they were (well) above world standards: although CIS gets better results, that does not make CDNIS 'mediocre'.

But I am not sure that the CDNIS/CIS debate is relevant here, as the OP is only considering GSIS and CDNIS.

If the original poster wants more info on GSIS or CDNIS, they can PM me.
    HappyV, thank you for sharing your positive opinions. Though I'm a bit late in this discussions I still want to write a few lines. can't agree more to your opinions about CDNIS. My daughter is in reception class at CDNIS. We can't be happier with our decision to put her there. The curriculum is great, Chinese language is better than what we expected, the school is so beautiful with lots of facilities and non-academic activities such as art, music, sports that are very important aspects in this life as well. Academic focused school isn't the greatest school to my opinion. To be a multi-tasking person one should learn many other non-academic stuffs as well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123