Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By erina320

High Levels of Arsenic in Organic Baby Formula? Snack bars?

thanka2 is offline Registered User

High Levels of Arsenic in Organic Baby Formula? Snack bars?

“Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Yet another reason to nurse...
    Lali07 likes this.

Lali07 is offline Registered User
    Its a little alarming the stuff they've found in formula, not just once off, but regularly apparently :( Not sure of the trustworthiness of the site I was viewing so I did read with some skepticism, but the list included: aluminum, silicon, cadmium, msg, phytoestrogens (soy formula), phosphates, phthalates, bpa, pesticides, bacteria, and more..

In this case, the arsenic is found in the organic brown rice syrup and is naturally occurring. It still poses a risk for infants though due to their small size and large in-take of formula.

genkimom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Lali07 View Post
    Its a little alarming the stuff they've found in formula, not just once off, but regularly apparently :( Not sure of the trustworthiness of the site I was viewing so I did read with some skepticism, but the list included: aluminum, silicon, cadmium, msg, phytoestrogens (soy formula), phosphates, phthalates, bpa, pesticides, bacteria, and more..
    Yum yum. This is why I cringe every time my babies get/got formula. Women really need to take a stand and insist companies inspect and regulate their products according to higher standards. Where are our government food health inspectors? Why is this OK?

Its not ok is it? I guess it comes down to money - manufacturers care more about their profits than the health of babies. Rather than using the highest quality milk, oils, sugars, additives etc. they source the cheapest milk, cheap rancid vegetable fats, cheap refined sugars, poor quality inefficient additives, then process it on surfaces with who-knows-what on them. And as formula is classified as a food, it is exempt from many regulations. Just like we will never see warning labels on sugar packets etc, so long as formula is classified as food we will never see the same level of stringency and information. I wonder if the only way to improve the quality of formula, for it to be eligible for survey, clinical trials, and to keep mothers informed, is to change the classification. Its sad and unfair to those mothers who have a hard time breastfeeding. On a side note, in the absence of donor breast milk, some mothers have had success with homemade formula, but this can be risky unless done absolutely correctly..

Quote Originally Posted by Lali07 View Post
    Its not ok is it? I guess it comes down to money - manufacturers care more about their profits than the health of babies. Rather than using the highest quality milk, oils, sugars, additives etc. they source the cheapest milk, cheap rancid vegetable fats, cheap refined sugars, poor quality inefficient additives, then process it on surfaces with who-knows-what on them. And as formula is classified as a food, it is exempt from many regulations. Just like we will never see warning labels on sugar packets etc, so long as formula is classified as food we will never see the same level of stringency and information. I wonder if the only way to improve the quality of formula, for it to be eligible for survey, clinical trials, and to keep mothers informed, is to change the classification. Its sad and unfair to those mothers who have a hard time breastfeeding. On a side note, in the absence of donor breast milk, some mothers have had success with homemade formula, but this can be risky unless done absolutely correctly..
    Lali07- the arsenic is naturally occurring in rice. There is little anyone can do about it except not use it. Higher quality rice would still contain it.

Hi Erina, I'm not referring at all to the arsenic/rice, I'm aware that its naturally occurring. Scroll up a wee bit and you'll see what I'm talking about - all the other contaminants detected at various times, plus the general poor quality of ingredients used in formula. Scandalous considering the prices they charge..
    Last edited by Lali07; 03-24-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: typo