Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Front teeth lost at 1.5 yrs old - what to do?

welshdad is offline Registered User

Front teeth lost at 1.5 yrs old - what to do?

My son has just had an accident and lost his front two teeth. A&E have said no health risks but suggest i take him to a dentist tmw. does anyone have any recommended child dentists and any advice or experiences to share on this situation. obviously i'm concerned that the poor guy isn't going to have teeth for some time and this opens up concerns over speech development amongst other things. any advice appreciated

fianna is offline Registered User

At the exact same age my son lost his 4 front teeth. I cried a lot! He looks like a little vampire! It's been 4 years and no issue with eating or speaking, he can bite an apple without a problem.

However what an orthodontist told me at one point is that milk teeth act as a guide for permanent teeth and because his are missing the permanent teeth might come out in weird positions. So in the next 2 years i'll have to take him to more dentists visits so we can spot problems.

Another thing is that you can also put some fake teeth in supported by some sort of braces attached to the back teeth. I was told that it works for 1 maybe 2 teeth but it would not be ok for 4. So we are not using anything. I keep wondering how my son will feel when he gets his permanent front teeth, it will be a weird experience for him.

welshdad is offline Registered User

tx for replying fianna, there have been many tears today and i suspect a lot more to come for him especially from my wife, however i'm happy to hear that your boy's eating and speech don't seem to have been affected, that's reassuring. 4 is almost unthinkable, the poor lad. how has he coped with the emotional side of things? kids can be cruel!
    i'll book mine into a paediatric dentist so will want to know more about possible fake solutions, though have been told that this can upset/disturb the onset of adult teeth. am also concerned about safety and whether he'll end up damaging his gums or swallowing his fakes and the wiring. he did use hi ex-teeth as some kind of assault weapon, so may need to wait until a little logic starts to develop in the loveable terror.