Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving April - where to live? (4 month old baby, commutes to Central and Quarry Bay)

archerbaby is offline Registered User

Moving April - where to live? (4 month old baby, commutes to Central and Quarry Bay)

Hi - my husband and I are moving from London to Hong Kong in April and we are currently working out where to live. We have a baby boy who will be 4 months old when we move. I will be returning to work in September and my office is in Central. My husband's office is in Quarry Bay and he is likely to drive to work. I would be happy with a commute of up to 30 minutes (possibly a little longer) as that is similar to my current commute in London. We have thought about Mid-levels (in particular Bamboo Grove), but I'm now starting to wonder if somewhere further afield would be better from a space/lifestyle perspective (I'm also concerned about pollution but it seems there is no answer to that concern!!). Many of my husband's colleagues live in Stanley but I don't know whether it is feasible for my work in Central. I am also open to the Kowloon side, though my husband is less so. Any suggestions to help us narrow the search? Much appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User

why would he likely drive to work? often, driving on the island is slower than taking public transportation..... not even considering the costs associated with owning a car/parking said car, etc.

have you ever been to hong kong? if not, i would strongly suggest you rent a serviced flat for a month (at least) to get your bearings and figure out where your family would be best suited.

mos1021 is offline Registered User

We are likely moving this year too from the United States and are strongly considering Discovery Bay as an option. Apparently its like a mini-Disneyland for expats; lots of open green spaces, parks and plenty recreational facilities. No cars allowed in the community so air pollution issues are less, especially if you have a young child. Commute to Central would be half hour by ferry, and you can walk to most office buildings from the ferry terminal. Not sure about your husband's commute though.

i lived in db for 6+ years, and 5 years later, i still miss it..... but, it's not for everyone. people either love it or hate it.

archerbaby is offline Registered User

Thank you very much for your responses - much appreciated. Unfortunately DB won't be feasible for my husband so we are only considering places on the island. My husband will be travelling back and forth to HK between now and the move so he will be viewing areas and apartments. I think we are going to stick to mid-levels based on advice from friends and other threads on this forum and geoexpat. We've short listed Bamboo Grove, the Fairlane, 80 Robinson, Monmouth Villa, Beauty Court and Seymour. The children's facilities in Bamboo Grove stood out in particular. If anyone has a view on these buildings your comments would be welcome. Thanks again for all your help.

elle is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by archerbaby View Post
    Thank you very much for your responses - much appreciated. Unfortunately DB won't be feasible for my husband so we are only considering places on the island. My husband will be travelling back and forth to HK between now and the move so he will be viewing areas and apartments. I think we are going to stick to mid-levels based on advice from friends and other threads on this forum and geoexpat. We've short listed Bamboo Grove, the Fairlane, 80 Robinson, Monmouth Villa, Beauty Court and Seymour. The children's facilities in Bamboo Grove stood out in particular. If anyone has a view on these buildings your comments would be welcome. Thanks again for all your help.
    Unless you plan on only walking on Robinson or Conduit Roads, the midlevels are tricky (to put it nicely) for strollers and small children. Most of my friends with younger kids (still in strollers) leave the Mid-levels and head south to Pokfulam/ Repulse Bay/ Stanley/ Tai Tam, if the *have* to stay on HK island. Each of these areas are more little kid friendly - bigger sidewalks for strollers, a lot more open access to outdoor space (rather than indoor playrooms), plenty of playgroups and preschools. I work in Central and the commute from the south side (25-35 minutes in the morning and 20-25 in the evening before 5:45pm or after 8pm and about 40 minutes between 6pm and 7:30pm) is more than worth it (in my view).

The drive from Stanley/ Tai Tam to Quarry Bay is 20-25 minutes in moderate traffic if you go around via Chai Wan. Travel via car or public transportation from the Mid-levels to Quarry Bay takes at least as long, especially in morning traffic.

or for a 45 minute driving commute you could be in the new territories, a huge house with a garden etc for 1/2 the price of mid-levels or southside...(takes me 45 minutes exactly to get from my door to IFC carpark)

to each his own.

howardcoombs is offline Registered User

Happy Valley is much more kid friendly than Mid Levels and far more transport options.
    Depending on your budget, you should look into Celeste Court, Leighton Hill, Ventris Place

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast