Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sheung Sze Wan, Lobster Bay - Any info would be great

Jess Jess is offline Registered User

Sheung Sze Wan, Lobster Bay - Any info would be great

We've decided to move off the Island and are looking at Clearwater Bay & Sai Kung and spent a day looking at places this weekend. I really like a place in Sheung Sze Wan (Lobster Bay) but wondered if anyone could tell me what the community is like round there? Our children are older (7 & 8) and one of the reasons we want to move is to give them more of a community (currently in an older building with no other children around in the mid-levels) and I'm really conscious that we know nothing about this place other than what I've managed to track down on the internet but that's all quite old now.

Can anyone tell me what it's like, are there lots of children around, do you feel isolated (such a huge difference from mid-levels!), what's the minibus service like to MTR stations as my husband will be commuting into Central? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

carang is offline Registered User
    i lived one village before sheung sze wan, but it was in 1996/97, so i don't know how much has changed.

i would say, however, that with 2 kids, you would have a difficult time of it without a car. there are other villages that are a little less "out there" that might serve you better. i have a feeling that you will feel like you live in the back of beyond after having lived in the mid-levels and may well hate it.

i think, if i were in your shoes, i would not go for the total opposite of what you have now. depending on your budget, have a look around silverstrand. you would be about 15 minutes closer to work for hubby and you have the convenience of a supermarket right there.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    We're also considering a move to that area, very near Sheung Sze Wan. I'd suggest make a few more visits, get your husband to do a practice run of his commute (at the time he would be commuting - i.e., early morning, not 10am), visit a few more estate agents, walk around SSW and smile and nod at strangers, strike up conversations with random people etc.

I've been told that SSW is a mixed community of locals/expats, so you should be able to find some friends. But it's always luck of the draw! Without a car, you certainly are more at risk of feeling isolated.

My opinion is that CWB and Sai Kung are only going to get more 'expatty' as HKA and Kellett open their campuses out there - so although we haven't made a final decision, we are feeling more comfortable with the idea of a move out to the boonies. The idea of having space for our (soon to be) 4 children to run around is very appealing!

I've also been told that it's a good community over there and people that live over there seem to love it BUT it is different to mid-levels, and, although I grew up in the country I'm still a little wary of going from one extreme to another. I do have a car so I would be able to get out and about easily.

I think visiting at different times of the day makes good sense and will head over there next week and also my husband definitely needs to do the commute as well (although he was doing something very similar in London but he has been spoilt in mid-levels!).

We can't afford Silverstrand but are also looking down to Hebe Haven - I'm really excited to get off the island and have some outdoor space but just need to keep my practical head on. Thanks very much for both your responses.

there are some lovely village houses around sai kung, perhaps that would be a better idea? in sai kung you have the convenience of stuff for the kids etc, the supermarket, library, public pool, restaurants, but you are still not smack dab in the middle of all the highrises...

I know I'm thinking that baby steps could be what we need to do and that I'm just a little carried away with the idea that we've finally made the decision to move off the island - 2 months and we'll be enjoying a different side of HK! Thanks again

no problem. i've lived on clearwater bay road and in sai kung, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.