Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Breasatfeeding: sensitive subject

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Sarah View Post
    I would encourage you to join some of the LLL meetings in Hong Kong. At a LLL meeting breastfeeding is the norm. It can be very difficult to find a place where this is so in Hong Kong where the majority of mothers wean so early.

Here is an article at which explains why a LLL might be useful to attend.

Details of the current schedule is available at for English speaking meetings and for Chinese speaking meetings.

Best wishes,
    Are there any meetings arranged for breastfeeding mothers who work full-time and can't get away in the early morning or mid-afternoon? I didn't see any on the site.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Oh, just ignore them. I've been successfully BFing for more than 6 months, and for almost 6 months all my relatives -- plus random Chinese people on the playground, at the baby clinic -- keep lecturing me that I don't have enough milk.
    It's just a cultural thing.
    First, Chinese people are just a bit more paranoid. Ever notice that you baby is always "not wearing enough clothing" or "shouldn't be eating this or that"? So they always find problems to harp on about even if they don't exist.
    Also, the "pui yuet" are generally not very pro-breastfeeding.
    I was waiting for the doctor the other day and just chatting to a Chinese mom. Her pui yuet decided, out of the blue, to declare that my perfectly healthy baby was not getting enough nutrition.
    And I say this as a Chinese person -- ignore them!

marie313 is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    i has the opposite problem! my first baby had really bad reflux - i would breast feed her for like an hour and then give her one little pat on the back to burp her and she would vomit the whole lot up and then cry because she was hungry, but i had nothing left to give her. she would cry and cry and cry until i thought i would go mad. i went to the health centre and asked if i could give her formula, but they kept saying no, breast is best. i seriously nearly had a breakdown. in the end i went out and bought some formula, so then when she vomited i could just go and make another bottle. we were both much happier after that!

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    why would you ask the health centre if you could give formula? you are the mother, it's your decision! you don't need to feel guilty that it didn't work for you.....

whatever is best for the family...

ps> my girl was lactose intolerant... she spent the first 3-4 months of her life sleeping or screaming. i did breastfeed exclusively, but that was because i wanted to...a dr in db prescribed a VERY expensive bottle of enzymes to help her cope and they worked a miracle!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123