Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to HK! In May 2012

K627 is offline Registered User

Moving to HK! In May 2012

Hello All,
    I have already read a few threads, but still have questions :)
    We are moving to HK in May this year with our 3 year old son. Having been in the states all these years I am apprehensive of moving to HK to say the least!
    Our budget for renting a place is 50,000 - 60,000 HKD. We want to live close to good schools, parks, shopping, a place to meet other mums, somewhere cosmopolitan...I guess I want it all in the neighborhood!
    Any help is appreciated :)

elle is offline Registered User
    If you want to stay on HK island, look at places like Stanley, Pokfulam, Happy Valley and Midlevels. Midlevels is much more crowded (and in my opinion less child friendly, lots of steps and steep hills so harder to walk around, but some of my friends are fine there with kids) but has the most in terms of restaurants and shopping. Stanley has beaches, a market, outdoor playgrounds, a waterfront promenade lined with restaurants and a shopping center with grocery store and a bunch of specialty shops. Lots of expat families in the area. Happy Valley is tucked away behind Causeway Bay, but is close to everything - shopping, dining, etc. It is less crowded than the Midlevels. Pokfulam is also less crowded than the Midlevels, but has less in the way of food and dining options. But, many of the flats have beautiful ocean views, there are lots of families and it has access to country parks. All four places also have preschools.

Other people will be able to provide better ideas for places off the island. Discovery Bay, Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay are also quite popular with expats, but I am less familiar with these areas. I do know that you will get a bigger place for less money if living off HK island.

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    Given the current difficulties getting school places I would be inclined to apply for schools first and base where you live on the outcome of that. Unless you are only planning on staying 1-2 years and then it doesn't need to be a consideration.

vipvenus is offline Registered User
    I would say hong kong gold coast, turn mun.
    A wonderful place.
    Check out the gold coast website in hong

howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by vipvenus View Post
    I would say hong kong gold coast, turn mun.
    A wonderful place.
    Check out the gold coast website in hong
    As wonderful as it may be, I dont think anyone could call Gold Coast cosmopolitan; It also doesn't meet the "close to good schools" requirement.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User
    And without a car, the public transport system from the Gold Coast/Tuen Mun area is atrocious!

There's also all the properties above Kowloon Station. Quite a large expat crowd there too.

And Aussie Mum is absolutely right, get a school then pick your neighbourhood. Or at least get an idea of where your child would go to school. The two options for the Americans in HK are HKIS is on Southside (Stanley, Tai Tam ...) and the American International. But the later is on the Kowloon side and does not offer the same learning/social environment as HKIS.

If you're not fussed about school placement, you'd probably have a lot more options.
    “If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Biggie is offline Registered User
    How about commute to work? And do you plan to drive?
    Americans doesn't have to go to American school, any international stream of international schools could work too. And it's not uncommon to have to commute a bit to school.
    Posted via Mobile Device

K627 is offline Registered User
    Thank you all for your feedback! Yes school is going to be a top priority so I think place to rent is going to depend on location of school. My husband will be commuting to central for work everyday, so commute s definitely a concern but he's ok with commuting 20-30 minutes.
    So can we get a decent sized place for HKD 50,000 - 60,000? We'd like 3 bedrooms, but will settle for 2.
    Also - how expensive are helpers?
    THanks again folks for your insights!