Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Expressing mum and pump recommendations

New mum 0301 is offline Registered User

Expressing mum and pump recommendations

I have a 7 weeks old baby and I have been expressing to her due to issues with breastfeeding. I have tried a couple of times, each time for a period of a week but had to give up due to sore, cracked nipples. Later on she can latch on correctly but she would only suck very hard for five minutes and then use my breasts as dummies and fall asleep. I have tried everything, play with her ears, feet, undress her, change her nappy but not been able to solve the problem.

I'm still trying to build up my milk supply to match my baby demand so I pump about 7-8 times a day using my Avent single electronic pump but would like to invest on a double pump to save time. Currently considering the Medela freestyle as I like the fact that its small and you can attach to a belt on your waist so I can do other things while pumping at the same time. I checked the price at b2b is $6600 but I can ask my friend to get me one cheaper from the UK. Has any use this pump or any other pump you would recommend?

Even though I know I have tried my best in breastfeeding but the fact that I'm not able to nurse her still makes me feel some sort of failure as a mum. I know i shouldn't feel bad and my baby can still get the benefits of breast milk etc. but I wish I could just breast feed her! I also don't know what to say to people when they ask me if I'm breastfeeding. Can any expressing mum share their experience?
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had to express for my daughter for medical reasons and found it very hard work!! But I do think it was worth it... I expressed for a year and she was 100% breastfed until then. Of course I wished that we could have directly breastfed, but we had to make the most of our situation the way it was. So pumping "worked" even though it wasn't my first choice.

You can read some of my thoughts about the whole thing in these two blog posts:
    http://madeline-hope.blogspot.com/20...e-pumping.html
    http://madeline-hope.blogspot.com/20...f-pumping.html

Oh and I used the Medela Pump in Style advance with a pumping bra (which was an absolute godsend!!) but I mostly did sit down and pump. I would have liked to have tried the freestyle so I could have been more mobile, but I found that when I did move around with the PISA, the bottles sometimes fell off. Not sure if I'd have that same problem with the freestyle (I was pumping large volumes and so the bottles would get very heavy!!). The PISA was fantastic though...

New mum 0301 is offline Registered User
    Thank you nicolejoy for sharing your experience! Good to know how someone did it and that it is possible to exclusively expressing. I also have contacted a le leache leader but that was focusing on getting baby back to my breasts instead of expressing so I didnt get the advice of how to build up my milk supply. At the moment I'm only able to pump around 500-600 ml a day but my baby needs around 800-850 ml a day so I'm hoping I can match that soon. By getting a double pump should help make things easier, I also heard good things about the Medela PISA but I like the mobility if the freestyle as I will be traveling in a few months time so I will need something small and allow me to pump anywhere... quite possibly in the bathroom on plane.

Would love to hear other mums share their pumping experience...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Koan is offline Registered User
    I use the freestyle. I pumped at work with the freestyle until my oldest son was 23 months old, at which age he stopped taking expressed milk. I am now pumping at work again for my youngest son.

I really like the freestyle. It's small and light. It's not too noisy. It's powerful, I think it compares well to the Symphony that I used when my son was in hospital. I haven't used it walking around. I made my own pumping bra as I found all the little clips and attachments that come with the "hands free" package too fiddly. I charge the battery once a week but it's never flat, usually still has one bar left. And I pump 3x a day for 5-7mins each time, so it gets a workout. :) HTH.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I used the Freestyle as well...very portable and not as noisy. Didn't really figure out the handsfree kit so didn't use it. I found it was difficult to double pump for me because it was hard to drain my breasts properly. I would have to help massage the pumping breast with my free hand so I wouldn't get engorged. You can do it and YOU ARE breastfeeding when you're pumping. You gotta do what you gotta do and don't stress if baby can't latch. I had Annerley's Hulda come over when my baby was a week old (she was in special care for a week) to help me teach baby to latch...it was tough but worth it. But if baby just falls asleep at the breast, maybe bottle is better for your baby. Good luck!

Gracey is offline Registered User
    You are not a failure. You're a success for producing a beautiful baby. And you're very brave for trying so hard despite the difficulties. Many less-determined moms would have given up. So be proud of yourself, and good luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think honestly, pumping takes MORE work and more determination than breastfeeding does - and comes with a whole lot more guilt as well. So pumping in my opinion should be "applauded" even more than breastfeeding.

When my baby came home from the hospital at 4 months old, I was giving her a bottle of EBM at my church and a friendly older lady with lots of opinions came over and said to me "What, why aren't you breastfeeding her?? Don't you know that's the best thing for her??" I wanted to slap her silly... instead I told her "I know, I would if I could, I wish it were possible - I'm pumping which takes twice the effort for the same result." I felt at other times like I wasn't part of the "breastfeeding mums club" OR the "formula feeding mums club" - kind of stuck in a weird middle place with far fewer people!! But ultimately, I wasn't doing it for anyone else so it doesn't matter what they think or say, or which "groups" I could identify with - I was doing it for my baby.

All the best!!

Sarah_Lotus is offline Registered User
    Dear New Mum 0301,

If you would like to work towards getting your baby to fully breastfeed rather than having so much supplement the first thing to do is start to give the supplement BEFORE you breastfeed the baby instead of afterwards.

I would start by giving the baby about half the amount you usually give her and then put her to the breast to finish the meal. When you do this the baby usually works harder at the breastfeeding. You may need to experiment with the amount of supplement you need to give it could be less than half the amount or maybe a bit more than half but it should definitely be less than the amount you need to give after the feed.

You want her to be satisfied after the feed but not too full. Ideally each feed will last about 30 minutes (both the bottle and the breast together) and she will have about 12 feeds a day.

The reason for this is to do with the flow of the milk. A normal breastfeed starts with quick flow and then as the feed progresses the flow begins to slow. So you have fast flow at the start of the feed, medium flow in the middle of the feed and slow flow towards the end of the feed. This is what the baby expects. When you give milk in a bottle the flow is always very fast. So rather than the natural fast, medium, slow rhythm of breastfeeding you get the medium, slow, very fast rhythm of topping up with a bottle. This does not encourage the baby to breastfeed but rather it encourages the baby to drink the milk at the breast while it is fast (usually for about five minutes) and then fuss until a bottle is given.

If you change when the supplement is given to the beginning of the feed. The baby gets the very fast milk first and then gets the medium and slow milk at the breast – at the correct time in the feed – and the result is that the baby works harder at breastfeeding.

There is also a way of bottle feeding that slows the flow as much as possible. Sit the baby up in a vertical position and bring the bottle horizontally. This means that gravity is not helping the milk to come out of the bottle and into the baby’s mouth. Usually babies prefer this as they don’t need to ride their tongues to reduce the flow from the bottle.

There is an article which explains about this technique at http://www.bfar.org/bottlefeeding.pdf

Please feel free to call me on 9125-2343 or email at [email protected] if you have any questions.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    www.lotuslactation.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast