Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

First time and panicking

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    For folic acid, good to take but don't panic if not. Same with prenatal vitamins. With my first, nausea was so bad didn't take any prenatal vitamins. He was fine. Prenatal vitamins are just insurance in case your diet is not balanced enough. Folic acid is more important but never mind, start now.
    Not so sure that prenatal vitamins are just "insurance"--most people don't have a balanced diet even if they eat well. But yes, definitely better to start now.

I also attended private appointments and my private doc (one of the less famous ones that charges $450 HKD with a very well-done 3D and regular scan with printed photos). When I started having problems he suspected I had obstetric cholestasis (a condition where your liver releases bile salts into your bloodstream and you have extreme itching--it can be dangerous for your baby as well). But, he did not have the facilities or contacts to have the very expensive and rare tests done so he wrote me a recommendation for the public hospital and they investigated this for me free-of-charge. That's the plus of having a private doc--he can recommend and refer you to the public hospital as well.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

missprincepessa is offline Registered User
    hong kong
    Am probably just going to repeat some above but here goes(-:
    - Folic acid. Yes, your first doctor should have prescribed or recommended it, BUT, don't panic. Like a previous poster, i was so sick i couldnt stomach it anyway. Of course, best to take it if you can, no doubt
    - an early scan is usually only required for dating the babies due date if you are unsure of when your wife's last period was.
    -It is very weird for your 2nd gp to 'insist' that early scans are critical to safeguard or monitor the health of the baby. For a number of reasons it's just a very, very weird thing for a GP to say. I'd be looking around for a better GP.
    -What is 'normal' and not normal for a schedule of scans really varies from country to country, public to private. If you 'choose' to have the 12 week scan (in combination with maternal blood test) it is because you feel that you would like to know if you are at risk for any issues which may affect the development and/or viability of the baby. It is not essential, but very common to have this scan. I say 'choose' because it's still optional, but most private doctors will just proceed with it and then you face any issues with the results as a consequence of your categorised 'risk' level.
    -There is a further scan sometimes/usually (again depending on country, doctor/private/public) after 20 weeks to identify anatomy development and again look at any potential issues with baby development.
    - A scan after 30 weeks can sometimes be scheduled to check growth and development.
    The fact that the hospital can only fit you in for a scan well after the first trimester, means that you will miss any opportunities to identify any 'issues' early on, in which case you would be in a position to terminate the pregnancy. Many people don't even have scans to really inform such decisions, but like me, just like to see the baby along the way! You need to decide what is best for you. It is really nice to be able to see the baby at least once or twice in utero for peace of mind, an opportunity to 'connect' or even find out the sex if you want. I would definitely recommend paying for it if you can. GOod luck!

claresaunders is offline Registered User
    I am quite new here as my husband and i only found out recently we are expecting a baby!!! I tried to take some preconception vitamins probably one month before conception but on and off. As soon as i found out i am pregant, i switched to the pregancy vitamins but i have been having the worst morning sickness and it goes out through the whole if you are like me, you will probably need to take some vitamins just in case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12