Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

 
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Terminating Dishonest Helper - attached toddler

  1. #17
    thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    hong kong
    Posts
    46
    your home is also the helper's home too.

  2. #18
    visitingthemoon is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    15
    What? This sort of thinking is why there are so many problems with the helpers. My home is NOT her home. My home is her place of employment. Her home is a place in the Phillipines.

    So my things are her things too? So she can take and use my personal computer without asking? Sit on my massage chair watching TV while I'm at work? No, sorry, but my home is not her home. It's her place of employment. She's here on a temporary contract to fulfil her duties.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

  3. #19
    howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by visitingthemoon View Post
    What? This sort of thinking is why there are so many problems with the helpers. My home is NOT her home. My home is her place of employment. Her home is a place in the Phillipines.
    You are *soooo* right. This sort of thinking is why there are so many problems with employer's relationship with their helpers.

    How dare they to think the home you've opened up to them is their home too. They should know their place, right?

    There is no excuse for being dishonest and a thief. She should be let go and depending on the seriousness, the could also be jailed for violating your trust and your property.
    However, your attitude WRT to helpers plain old stinks (refer to your comment above). With that attitude, dont be surprised if you continue to have issues with future helpers.

  4. #20
    thatlady is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    kowloon
    Posts
    4
    To Those of you who find it hard to share your life and yet still want to have a personal servant,
    You decided to hire a live in to be a helper to you and your family for whatever reason. BUT you want this person to be unobtrusive,obedient, work 12-16 hours a day, often help around the house on their days off anyway. Not touch anything in your home except to clean it.
    I would ask you to walk in their shoes, they can't go home at night after a long day at work, only a small room with a bed. They can't fix themselves their favorite food after a particularly trying day with your children. They can't plan a trip home unless it is agreed upon they their employer, sometimes, they can't call either unless it is agreed upon by their employer.
    What about nice clothes and getting dressed up? Mostly they would be accused of be slutty. Having a drink of wine? Oh my, they must be looking to get hooked up with a man.

    Watch a move called The Help and then watch Downton Abbey. What kind of employer are you between these two movies?

  5. #21
    Sage is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pokfulam
    Posts
    100
    Stealing is wrong. Nothing more to say about that.

    There is no law, however, that says she can't take any photos with members of your family in your home or her workplace. I checked. I'm afraid on that count, the law IS on her side.

  6. #22
    howardcoombs is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Happy Valley
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage View Post
    There is no law, however, that says she can't take any photos with members of your family in your home or her workplace. I checked. I'm afraid on that count, the law IS on her side.
    As some people are sensitive when it comes to their kids and photography, it is important to know the law and know the difference between discomfort and unlawful. Leaving commercial and sexual photography aside as those topics have specific laws pertaining to them, when it comes to amateur photography there are very few restrictions in Hong Kong.

    You have no right to privacy in a public location (eg: the hills, the street or the beach). I can photograph anyone I please, without getting in their way without interference from the law. Whether the subject is nature, an adult or a child does not change this.

    You have no right to privacy in a privately held public location (eg: mall, church, concert venue, clubhouse). I can photograph anyone I please, without interference from the law. Whether the subject is an adult or a child does not change this. If I happen to violate rules imposed by the property owner (eg:no photos in clubhouses), I may be ejected and/or charged with trespass as well as mischief however there are no laws about photography.

    You have no right to retroactively change your explicit or your implicit permission. If you invite me to your home, witness me taking pictures and 6 months later you decide that you didnt want me to have those pictures any longer whether it be pictures of you, your bathroom or your kids, there is no law to help you to compel me to give up or destroy those pictures. This thread is referring specifically to this case, where a helper over many days and weeks and months took pictures at her residence. As long as there is nothing sexual about them and the pictures are not being sold, the law will not assist in getting them removed/destroyed.

  7. #23
    carang's Avatar
    carang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Sai Kung
    Posts
    6,259
    Quote Originally Posted by thatlady View Post
    To Those of you who find it hard to share your life and yet still want to have a personal servant,
    You decided to hire a live in to be a helper to you and your family for whatever reason. BUT you want this person to be unobtrusive,obedient, work 12-16 hours a day, often help around the house on their days off anyway. Not touch anything in your home except to clean it.
    I would ask you to walk in their shoes, they can't go home at night after a long day at work, only a small room with a bed. They can't fix themselves their favorite food after a particularly trying day with your children. They can't plan a trip home unless it is agreed upon they their employer, sometimes, they can't call either unless it is agreed upon by their employer.
    What about nice clothes and getting dressed up? Mostly they would be accused of be slutty. Having a drink of wine? Oh my, they must be looking to get hooked up with a man.

    Watch a move called The Help and then watch Downton Abbey. What kind of employer are you between these two movies?
    the accusations you have made have no place in this thread. your rant has nothing to do with what is a legitimate question regarding a specific incident with a helper.

  8. #24
    thatlady is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    kowloon
    Posts
    4
    What? This sort of thinking is why there are so many problems with the helpers. My home is NOT her home. My home is her place of employment. Her home is a place in the Phillipines.

    I apologize for causing offense. I am afraid I had a knee jerk reaction to the above statement. The question from the OP is definitely legit and I ought not to have taken this on. Just sort of got the best of me...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help! Baby is too attached to helper
    By premama in forum Baby Talk
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-06-2014, 07:31 PM
  2. Terminating my helper
    By SHJ in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM
  3. terminating helper and 1 month pay
    By hkmom1 in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 05:32 PM
  4. Terminating helper
    By mushi in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 10-03-2009, 11:56 PM
  5. What do we need when terminating helper?
    By fennho in forum Helper Forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2009, 09:27 AM
Scroll to top