Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Terminating Dishonest Helper - attached toddler

visitingthemoon is offline Registered User

Terminating Dishonest Helper - attached toddler

I have found myself in the sad situation of having to terminate a helper who has been stealing, among other things.

Unfortunately, my 2 year old loves her. She also takes video and pictures of my daughter on her camera phone. I feel uncomfortable having pictures of my daughter on my soon-to-be-terminated helper's phone. Anyone have tips on how to handle terminating her under these delicate circumstances?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

carang is offline Registered User
    when you terminate her, ask her to remove all photos/videos from her telephone in front of you. there's nothign wrong with that.

as for your toddler being attached, don't worry... you'll probably have a week or so of tears, then your toddler will move on.

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    when you terminate her, ask her to remove all photos/videos from her telephone in front of you. there's nothign wrong with that.
    whats on her phone is her belongings.

i don't think that's the case when photos of children are involved. i should have specified, all photos of YOUR CHILDREN only.

she should be asking for permission to photograph your child as it is. there are privacy issues at play. and i think the privacy of the family/child would be upheld.
    rebekah and miran like this.

if thats the case, the employee should be asked not to take photos in the beginning. the photographed subject is irrelevant. being an employer doesn't grant you the rights to make up rules as you sees fit.

i agree, it should be dealt with at the beginning, but i still have a feeling that the privacy laws would fall in favour of the
    parents of the child, not the helper in this type of case. the subject being photographed, when it is a person, is COMPLETELY relevant. privacy of a child is of the utmost importance.

did the helper have explicit permission to take and keep photos of the child? if not, then i believe it would be perfectly legal to ask her to remove those photos only.

of course, the best thing to do would be to talk to a lawyer or someone from the gov't (is there a privacy commission or something?) to find out what your rights to privacy covers.

its perfectly legal to ask the question but the helper doesn't have to comply.

have been doing some reading on this, trying to find out the hk legalities of the situation.... i'm wondering if the photos were taken inside the employer's home, then she may have the right to (1) stop photos from being taken and possibly (2) ask for them to be deleted.... but i'm trying to find out more....(i got some of the info from australia, so it may not be applicable to hk)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast