Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

hiring finished contract helper

bagel is offline Registered User

hiring finished contract helper

Hello,
    I hired a helper who will finish her contract this week. When she went to Immigration they told her that it will take 4 weeks to process her new visa and they extended her limit of stay until then. Normally they are allowed to stay 2 weeks until after completion of contract. Now she has two choices: (a) she can stay in HK for one month after completion of contract to collect her visa or (b) she can return to PH earlier and authorize an agency to collect her visa label and DHL it to her.

My question is to what extent am I responsible for her room and board in HK if she exercises option (a) and to what extent am I responsible for agency fees if she exercises option (b)? I know I have to pay the visa fee of HKD 160, health insurance plus her ticket here.

Last time we hired a helper who had broken contract so we paid all agency fees to process her visa and get her here. This time we are hiring one who has finished contract so I am wondering what the costs are.

Thank you!

Sunshinebaby is offline Registered User
    Usually, the employer is not responsible for the helper's room and board until she officially starts working for you. The helper network is very strong and they usually stay with a relative or at a boarding house where rent is $50 or something in that ballpark per day. However, it really depends on what you and your helper agree on. Some helpers are really strapped for cash and may ask for an advance on their salary so it is up to you. Hiring a helper who has finished her contract is a definite advantage over hiring one who broke her contract as she is allowed to extend her stay in HK until the visa is approved and does not need to return to the Philippines. She can start work a lot earlier. If the helper does not need to go back to Philippines, it is usually better for her to wait in HK until she gets her visa as I have heard of situations where once the helper is back in the Philippines before getting her visa, there are extraneous costs and delays in getting her to return as the Philippines side imposes additional requirements.

I had hired a helper last year who had finished her contract and the whole visa process was a lot quicker than hiring one who broke her contract. After getting her visa, she asked to return to the Philippines for a one- month break before starting work. Unfortunately, the day before she was supposed to return, she called me from the Philippines and told me she had changed her mind and is no longer returning to HK to work. When I informed immigration about this, they told me situations like this is quite common. Needless to say, I was quite stressed as I was 38 weeks pregnant then! Anyway, just thought I would share my personal experience and hope it helps

bagel is offline Registered User
    Thanks sunshinebaby!