Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Useful, hard to find products

KathyKitzis is offline Registered User

Useful, hard to find products

Hi Ladies,

Just wanted to get some feedback from you. What did you find to be the most useful products that you used during pregnancy and in the early days with babies that you found hard to find in HK or had to get from elsewhere?
    Thanks in advance.

carang is offline Registered User
    as i spent the entirety of 2 pregnancies here, i only had what was available to me here. so, there was nothing that i found "hard to get" except maybe disposable breast pads.

i made a point of NOT buying anything at bumps-to-babes as it was too troublesome and too expensive to be doing a regular shopping trip there. i bought from my local supermarket almost exclusively.

charade is offline Registered User
    both my babies were on the small side (2.86 and 2.96 kg) though born full term. I found it hard to get small size clothing for them. My son had reflux and we had to change him really carefully so I needed clothes which buttoned down the front for ease of putting on. There was nothing in his size... we had to use bigger clothes and looked like a ghost floating in them. My daughter is easier and I am using a lot of those carters onesies which come in tiny sizes (preemie?). I didn't buy them... all her clothes are hand-me-downs from her cousins and these onesies came from my sister and a cousin in the Us. i didn't see similar sized onesies in the regular shops here.

carang is offline Registered User
    my kids were even smaller... 2.47kg and 2.51kg, although the newborn clothes were big, i didn't mind. i knew they'd grow into them. i also used a LOT of the cheap "monk shirts" from the market. they were fantastic!

2010-NewDad is offline Registered User
    My daughter was born at 2.6kg, and we had no problem getting her clothes here. We shopped in Central Marks & Spencers, TST Mothercare and Stanley Market (which sell Carters onesie's). All had plenty of stuff to fit her.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    The thing is that you can find everything and anything (almost) that you need in Hong Kong but you may have to pay a higher price for it. If you are traveling to the States, for example, you might want to buy some things that will be cheaper and will have more selection there if it's feasible to bring it back to HK with you.

I bought a portable crib ("Pack n' Play")--about 1/3 the price that it was in Hong Kong (new) and much many more options and selections for color, size and design. My sister came from the States for a visit and she brought large-sized tubs of Desitin cream which you can't buy in HK anymore. I liked a particular type of nightgown for my children that looks like this. I haven't seen this particular design in HK so we got some of these in the States (many were second-hand). We also were given a baby rocking chair that had a great carry design (by Fisher Price) which would have been much more expensive to buy here in HK.

But, it's true that you can get or make do with whatever you need in HK.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

rebekah is offline Registered User
    i ordered a lot of items in (a hygeia pump/spare parts, bamboobies nursing pads, certain products from motherlove/earth mama angel baby that weren't in good supply at the usual stores) and items that are made for women with larger breasts, like goddess bras.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    ....oh, and I would buy my breastpump in the States rather than in HK--better selection and cheaper prices.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK