Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Another helper's leave question...

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Another helper's leave question...

My helper's contract is up at the end of May and we have agreed to renew her contract. I know she is entitled to 2 weeks of paid leave and a return ticket back to her home. I am wondering what time frame that has to happen - eg, can she go back now instead? Or in July/August instead? The end of her contract is a really bad time for me as I have to do five weeks full time of prac teaching (I'm usually a SAHM) and need someone to help with the kids. I can't change the dates of my prac teaching...

miran is offline Registered User
    Nicole, there's a form which you can fill up and submit with the new application. if approved, it allows the leave to be taken within a year from renewal date. Ours was approved without questions - we submitted an application giving our reasons for request.

It's called ID 988A - Visa/Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad

carang is offline Registered User
    we just renewed one of our helper's contract at the end of january. we requested that he take leave at easter (his wife, our former helper, is coming from canada and his son is coming from PH). it was just included in the application, i don't recall another form.

it was approved without any question at all.

Thanks guys - and the renewal application can only be done 30 days before the contract expires right? I was having a mini heart attack trying to figure out how I would manage everything...

they've actually changed it this past year. it used to be within 4 weeks. i believe it's now 6 weeks.

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Just looked on the immigration website:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/ID%28E%29989.htm

9. Application for contract renewal will normally be accepted within eight weeks prior to the expiry of the existing contract.
    nicolejoy likes this.

thanks, when i was typing i couldn't remember exactly how many it was now.... up until last year it was only 4 weeks

Ah thanks so much for that link Mumsy!! I had a look and the official policy on my original question is stated:

At the end of the 2-year contract, the Helper shall return to his/her place of origin for vacation before commencing a new contract. If circumstances do not permit the Helper to return to his/her place of origin for vacation immediately upon expiry of the old contract, subject to mutual agreement with the employer, the Helper may apply for an extension of stay of normally not exceeding 1 year for him/her to defer the home leave.

Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast