- 03-06-2012, 11:41 AM #1
Another helper's leave question...
My helper's contract is up at the end of May and we have agreed to renew her contract. I know she is entitled to 2 weeks of paid leave and a return ticket back to her home. I am wondering what time frame that has to happen - eg, can she go back now instead? Or in July/August instead? The end of her contract is a really bad time for me as I have to do five weeks full time of prac teaching (I'm usually a SAHM) and need someone to help with the kids. I can't change the dates of my prac teaching...
- 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM #2Registered User
- Join Date
- May 2011
- hong kong
Nicole, there's a form which you can fill up and submit with the new application. if approved, it allows the leave to be taken within a year from renewal date. Ours was approved without questions - we submitted an application giving our reasons for request.
It's called ID 988A - Visa/Extension of Stay Application Form for Domestic Helper from Abroad
- 03-06-2012, 12:43 PM #3
we just renewed one of our helper's contract at the end of january. we requested that he take leave at easter (his wife, our former helper, is coming from canada and his son is coming from PH). it was just included in the application, i don't recall another form.
it was approved without any question at all.
- 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM #4
Thanks guys - and the renewal application can only be done 30 days before the contract expires right? I was having a mini heart attack trying to figure out how I would manage everything...
- 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM #5
they've actually changed it this past year. it used to be within 4 weeks. i believe it's now 6 weeks.
- 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM #6Registered User
- Join Date
- Jan 2006
- Hong Kong
Just looked on the immigration website:
9. Application for contract renewal will normally be accepted within eight weeks prior to the expiry of the existing contract.
- 03-06-2012, 09:25 PM #7
thanks, when i was typing i couldn't remember exactly how many it was now.... up until last year it was only 4 weeks
- 03-06-2012, 11:27 PM #8
Ah thanks so much for that link Mumsy!! I had a look and the official policy on my original question is stated:
At the end of the 2-year contract, the Helper shall return to his/her place of origin for vacation before commencing a new contract. If circumstances do not permit the Helper to return to his/her place of origin for vacation immediately upon expiry of the old contract, subject to mutual agreement with the employer, the Helper may apply for an extension of stay of normally not exceeding 1 year for him/her to defer the home leave.
- By Creme & caramel in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 9Last Post: 03-06-2012, 12:02 PM
- By dbmum in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 6Last Post: 06-01-2009, 09:19 AM
- By musicalmama in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 4Last Post: 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
- By Canucker in forum Hong Kong Pregnancy ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 08-16-2007, 10:37 AM
- By Wee Kean in forum Helper ForumsReplies: 10Last Post: 06-05-2007, 09:49 PM