Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Baby passing food too quick and undigested

100LL is offline Registered User

Baby passing food too quick and undigested

Hello

I apologize for the quick and (literally) dirty first post.

Our baby girl is 10 months. Since more than a week she poos a lot (6 times a day, before only once a day) of times and it smells and looks like the food she eats and is liquid (not watery). She is not sick otherwise and very happy. No fever, no gas, no other symptoms. No dehydration. We changed food around and cut out the usual suspects but it just doesnt seem to change.

We just gave her (pumped) breast milk from the fridge and within 15 minutes her diaper smelled like milk :/ Mrs 100LL in the nursery room now.

Doctor gave us a lactobacillus supplement. She is on it for 4 or 5 days but so far it seems no different.

Any ideas?

Again, sorry for the quick info, we are at the airport about to leave to Phuket.

Posted via Mobile Device
    Posted via Mobile Device

100LL is offline Registered User
    Sorry for replying to my own post, mobile site acting up. I forgot to mention we also give her banana and apple sauce because it's supposed to make her stool harder. But what comes out is more Like the original apple sauce apparently.

I always thought lactobacillus helps people poo, so making it softer, but I guess the doctor should know better.
    Posted via Mobile Device

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Lactobacillus helps to develop the natural healthy bacteria that lives in the gut. It can help with both problems. I have an uncle who is now in his 40's and when he was a child, he had severe gastro problems that needed hospitalisation etc. They tried a lot of different approaches and one doctor ended up suggesting that he eat a litre of yoghurt a day until it stabilised and that really helped. For him, he also had to go off dairy and he functioned better on goats milk/cheese/yoghurt. But I'd definitely be trying probiotics - as well as the BRAT diet (banana, rice, apple, toast) to firm things up a bit.

I would also be suspicious as to whether she is having a hard time digesting something in particular - could it be a reaction to a certain food? It could still be some kind of virus or infection, even without a fever, and may resolve on it's own.

All the best!!

inkmink is offline Registered User
    This may or may not be relevant but my daughter had diarrhea for 2 weeks around 10 months old. No fever, no gas, happy and no dehydration too. But as it was a diarrhea, we had to give her oral rehydration salt and lacteol fort to control it. Turns out she was teething.

We initially went on BRAT diet but found that apple made her poo really runny. When we took out apple, the poo was much firmer. Banana wasn't as bad as apple but it did make her go more. So, we ended up with just rice, toast diet throughtout the period.

She was already taking probiotics daily before she had diarrhea.

erina320 is offline Registered User
    Could be teething, but 6 diapers seems excessive if you're really concerned ask your doctor to check for stool and blood parasites. According to my pediatrician, Giardia is common in the water supply here.