Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Help - suggestions needed for domestic helper training course

Roachie is offline Registered User

Help - suggestions needed for domestic helper training course

We have just hired a new helper from the Philippines for the purpose of looking after general household chores (cleaning, laundry, cooking) but she is completely clueless about managing a HK household. However, she does appear to have a good attitude and willingness to learn so I would like to find her some practical training. She's pleasant to have around (which is a big and welcome change from my old helper) so I want to ensure that I give her the best possible chance to learn what needs to be done for my family.

I know that there are courses at the YWCA and Annerley, but these seem to focus on childcare and first aid, which I do not require from my helper. I have bought the Julie Jacobsen book and created a work plan for my helper, but I think she probably needs more practical one-on-one training. I also don't want to overwhelm her with too many written instructions as I don't think her English is all that great.

What I am hoping to find are trainers who will come to my house and show my helper how things should be done, i.e. cleaning, ironing, laundry, etc. I would normally do this myself but I have just been put onto bed rest by my doctor. Does anyone know if such trainers exist? I realise that it's very early days yet - under a week - but I would like to get at least the basics sorted and our helper and household into a workable routine before the new baby comes.

She also does not know how to cook. I am considering the courses at Towngas, HK Electric and YWCA but it also seems to me that she does not have the basic skills sufficient even for these courses. Does anyone know of any practical Cooking 101 cooking classes, i.e. how to stir fry vegetables (as opposed to boiling the hell out of them :p); how to trim fat off meat; basic food hygiene etc.

Many thanks for any suggestions that you may have.

carang is offline Registered User

there is a woman in deep water bay who trains helpers in her home. she is originally from the philippines but is married to a western man, so she can communicate in tagalog. she also does cooking classes.

i'll see if i can find her information again....

still looking... thought i'd found it... but doesn't seem to be working.... give me a couple of minutes

Last edited by carang; 03-07-2012 at 06:06 PM.

found the listing on dollarsaver website:
    SuperHelper
    Address:
    36A Island Road, Deep Water Bay, H.K.

Tel: 2812 0446
    Fax: 2812 0671
    Email: [email protected]
    Issue: Feb 27, 2012 Page: 08

website doesn't seem to be working.... so maybe try giving her a call. i've considered sending my helper to the cooking classes. the ONLY thing stopping me is the location (we live in sai kung and she'd have to be on the 7am bus in order to get there on time)

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

Can you pay another helper to train her? One of your friend's helpers perhaps? Maybe someone is going away over Easter or has a helper with some free time in the afternoons or evenings? If it's not possible to get someone in for a few hours, can you send your helper to friend's house to "shadow" a good helper?

I do feel for you... I got my helper "fresh off the boat" last year. Young, willing to learn, lovely attitude (again, a nice change from previous helper), but it's been frustrating trying to bring her up to speed. We've had lots of communication difficulties, but have worked our way through. I ask her to repeat back to me any new instructions so I'm sure she understands. I try to show her things, rather than tell her, but with three young kids, it's difficult for me to be in the kitchen.

Good luck in training your new helper. For me, a pleasant demeanour and good attitude were the most important things, so I've been willing to stretch my patience and not expect too much in return for a much happier household (compared to previous, very experienced, helper who only wanted to do things her way.)

Roachie is offline Registered User

Thanks Carang and Honkyblues for your suggestions. I am currently getting another helper to assist with training my helper and if that doesn't work out, then I will try Superhelper.