Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

HKSAR passport for baby born in HK?

thundacatchergo is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by peainpod View Post
    On the HKSAR passport application, they also ask if you hold any other passports. If you answer yes, then I believe they won't give you a SAR one (happened to a friend of mine).
    completely untrue.

peainpod is offline Registered User
    HKSAR does not allow for dual citizenship so actually if you have another nationality (thus holding another passport), they will not issue you a HKSAR one. I know of friends who got around this problem by:
    1) applying for their child's HKSAR ppt before applying for others or
    2) lying on their application

Those that did the above were granted HKSAR ppts. However a friend who truthfully answered her child held a (Canadian) ppt was not subsequently approved for the HKSAR one.

As Carang says, all the above were Chinese (not Caucasian).

peainpod is offline Registered User
    Have done a little more digging and apparently there is a little more to it: it appears that while the Chinese government does not allow for dual nationality, there is a special clause where native-born HK citizens are allowed a second passport -but this is regarded as simply a travel document. However those whose native born citizenship is not Chinese will have to renounce their native citizenship first.

meimeid is offline Registered User
    We wanted to get our son (PR by birth) a return home permit, so it will be easier to travel in and out of China instead of using his EU passport plus visas. We queried at CTSHK and apparently we can only apply if he has a HKSAR passport. So that's one reason for getting it.
    Curious as to how this administratively works when we don't want him to lose his EU nationality. What is the definition of citizenship by the way?

carang is offline Registered User
    definition of citizenship varies by country... that's one of the problems.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    If your husband is a PR AND of Chinese descent then your child is eligible for a HKSAR passport regardless of having another citizenship. This is the general understanding... If your husband is not Chinese then you can forget about the passport, however your child does have right of abode with the birth cert I believe. My daughter has an American passport and HKsar passport because I was born in HK and Chinese. My husband is American and there is no conflict with having dual passports.

evgreen is offline Registered User
    I don't think HK PR is considered a 'citizenship' per se...just a status of abode. A Chinese citizen is entirely different...you are considered a PRC national and not a Hong Kong native although Hong Kong natives of Chinese descent are eligible for Chinese citizenship...there are special circumstances however like Allan Zeman. Confusing? Yea a bit.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    You are allowed to hold multiple passports/nationality until 18. My kids have three.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast